Coalesce() RRS feed

• Question

•    Could someone explain what is the meaning of this line. This is part of my stored procedure

Create procedure sp
    (
    @HeaderId int,  

@LoanNumber

NVARCHAR(30)=NULL

)
    SELECT Id

FROM ResponseView hrv

WHERE hrv.Id = @HeaderId

AND hrv.ServicerLoanNumber LIKE COALESCE(@LoanNumber,hrv.ServicerLoanNumber)

What is the meaning of this line  COALESCE(@LoanNumber,hrv.ServicerLoanNumber)  ?
    Does it mean that get the value for hrv.ServicerLoanNumber from @LoanNumber  ?

Does the ordr really matter ..I mean can I   write like this  COALESCE(hrv.ServicerLoanNumber,@LoanNumber
    ? What does it really mean?

Any help would be gtreatly appreciated

Thanks

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:59 PM

Answers

• This means that "hrv.ServicerLoanNumber" must be like the @LoanNumber variable or that @loanNumber must be null.  If @loanNumber is null the value of the AND condtion is TRUE; If @loanNumber is not null then the "hrv.ServicerLoanNumber" must be like the @loanNumber variable (or parameter).

This kind of code typically doesn't perform well for the cases in which @LoanNumber is passed and will result in a table scan.  The table scan can sometimes be avoided by using IF / ELSE rather than the coalesce.
    • Marked as answer by Rjoseph2010 Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:01 PM
  • COALESCE(@LoanNumber,hrv.ServicerLoanNumber)

means...

CASE WHEN @LoanNumber IS NULL THEN hrv.ServicerLoanNumber ELSE @LoanNumber END

In other words...

if @LoanNumber has a null value, use hrv.ServicerLoanNumber... otherwise, use @LoanNumber as is.

--Brad (My Blog)
    • Marked as answer by Rjoseph2010 Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Hi there,

Just to add a different approach.

COALLESCE returns the first not null value, it can be used with a variable number of arguments and it will return the value of the first not null argument. Values are evaluated from left to right.

José Cruz
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:44 PM

All replies

• This means that "hrv.ServicerLoanNumber" must be like the @LoanNumber variable or that @loanNumber must be null.  If @loanNumber is null the value of the AND condtion is TRUE; If @loanNumber is not null then the "hrv.ServicerLoanNumber" must be like the @loanNumber variable (or parameter).

This kind of code typically doesn't perform well for the cases in which @LoanNumber is passed and will result in a table scan.  The table scan can sometimes be avoided by using IF / ELSE rather than the coalesce.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:01 PM
  • COALESCE(@LoanNumber,hrv.ServicerLoanNumber)

means...

CASE WHEN @LoanNumber IS NULL THEN hrv.ServicerLoanNumber ELSE @LoanNumber END

In other words...

if @LoanNumber has a null value, use hrv.ServicerLoanNumber... otherwise, use @LoanNumber as is.

--Brad (My Blog)
    • Marked as answer by Rjoseph2010 Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Hi there,

Just to add a different approach.

COALLESCE returns the first not null value, it can be used with a variable number of arguments and it will return the value of the first not null argument. Values are evaluated from left to right.

José Cruz
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:44 PM
  • COALLESCE returns the first not null value.

How is it advantageous compared to ISNULL()?
    Chase Excellence - Success Will Follow!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:24 AM
  • COALLESCE returns the first not null value.

How is it advantageous compared to ISNULL()?
    Chase Excellence - Success Will Follow!

COALESCE is more advantageous than ISNULL for the following reasons:

1) It takes multiple arguments
    2) COALESCE is an ANSI standard function, so it would be recognized by other SQL platforms... ISNULL is a proprietary Microsoft extension of T-SQL
    3) ISNULL has an annoying quirk to it:

declare @c char(1)
    set @c=null
    select isnull(@c,'12876387682762187681768276873687687682')
    /* The above returns '1' */

ISNULL returns the EXACT SAME DATATYPE as the first argument.  Since @c was defined as a CHAR(1), that's what ISNULL is going to return.  Thousands of people have gotten bit by that one.

--Brad (My Blog)
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:39 AM