Machine randomly shuts off and then comes back on. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! Basically whats happening is my computer randomly shuts off (No blue screen just powers off) and then immediately comes back on.

I am running three monitors and a single GPU.  This has happened in two different cities (I moved) I have the same surge protector - however, other things on the protector do not reset / go off (alarm clock no battery).

Here are the crash dumps that microsoft said happened. (I uploaded three different ones) 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/juwuzck8wpq6j0r/issues.rar

I'm a pretty avid builder but I'm a bit stumped with this issue. The machine will, at random, shut off completely (including lights) and then come back on, during normal activities and gameplay.

The temps do not appear to be reaching astronomic levels, maxing out at around 60-65c (cpu) and 45c for the GPU.

Parts:
    cpu - i7 3960x (turbo enabled normal at 3.3, w/ turbo at 3.9ghz)
    mobo -  MSI X79A-GD45 /// Intel DX79SI (have tried both, it still happens with either, MSI is a new board.
    psu - 750 Antec Gold High Current Pro
    gpu - MSI Lightning 680 (no OC)
    sdd - samsung 840 pro 
    hdd - Black 1TB
    case - HAF 942-x
    cooler - x40 kraken
    ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (DDR1600)

Here's what I tried
    1. Bought a new motherboard (MSI $260) to see if the issue would go away. - Failed.
    2. Was able to reproduce the issue VERY quickly when using the OC Genie2 on the MSI board, with teh button pressed, I could boot up OCCT and have it reproduce the issue with the power-off in around 2 minutes of the test. - Failed
    3. Attempted PSU and GPU stress test with stock BIOS, tests ran 1 hr+ each with no issues.  Shut down my machine and restarted it this morning and the issue came back within 5 minutes of use just sitting at the Windows Desktop. - Failed.
    4. Turned the 32 GB of ram to 1600 and enabled XMP, crashed after 3-5 days.
    5. Attempting to test each DIMM individually.
    6. Issue happened again after about two weeks of not happening.

I've run OCCT for an hour with the "stock" bios and it didn't crash for an entire hour.  I've also attempted to use the "OC genie2" overclock function and that triggered a crash within 2 minutes of the run.
    Can anyone give me some more things to try? I'm thinking its possible it could be the PSU, but after running OCCT PSU test for 30+ minutes it had no issues.

• Edited by LordKainzo Saturday, October 11, 2014 4:19 AM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 4:12 AM

Answers

• Hi LordKainzo,

Here is the information regarding the Bugcheck ID:

Bug Check 0x117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

Bug Check 0x19: BAD_POOL_HEADER

We could uncheck automatically restart to show the Blue Screen errors.

Please check the compatibility of your hardware, with BSOD happens regularly, there could be some hardware not working properly.

For detailed debug information, it is not supported in forums, thank you for your understanding.

Please recheck the manufacturer manual for the hardware,  we may also consider seek help at the manufacturer side for further assistance.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 13, 2014 10:08 AM

All replies

• *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
    *******************************************************************************

BAD_POOL_HEADER (19)
    The pool is already corrupt at the time of the current request.
    This may or may not be due to the caller.
    The internal pool links must be walked to figure out a possible cause of
    the problem, and then special pool applied to the suspect tags or the driver
    verifier to a suspect driver.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000020, a pool block header size is corrupt.
    Arg2: fffffa802224f9e0, The pool entry we were looking for within the page.
    Arg3: fffffa802224fa50, The next pool entry.
    Arg4: 0000000004070006, (reserved)

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x19_20

POOL_ADDRESS: GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800036ca100
    GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800036ca1c0
     fffffa802224f9e0 Nonpaged pool

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe

++++++++++++++++++===============================++++++++++++++++++++++==========4

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (117)
    The display driver failed to respond in timely fashion.
    (This code can never be used for real bugcheck).
    Arguments:
    Arg1: fffffa80262bc4e0, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
    Arg2: fffff8800fa2be20, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g owner tag).
    Arg3: 0000000000000000, The secondary driver specific bucketing key.
    Arg4: 0000000000000000, Optional internal context dependent data.

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

FAULTING_IP: 
    nvlddmkm+153e20
    fffff880`0fa2be20 ??              ???
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 4:58 AM
  • Any other thoughts herE?
    Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:35 AM
  • guess this isnt a common issue.
    Monday, October 13, 2014 1:05 AM
  • Hi LordKainzo,

Here is the information regarding the Bugcheck ID:

Bug Check 0x117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

Bug Check 0x19: BAD_POOL_HEADER

We could uncheck automatically restart to show the Blue Screen errors.

Please check the compatibility of your hardware, with BSOD happens regularly, there could be some hardware not working properly.

For detailed debug information, it is not supported in forums, thank you for your understanding.

Please recheck the manufacturer manual for the hardware,  we may also consider seek help at the manufacturer side for further assistance.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 13, 2014 10:08 AM