Formatting from Normal.dot doesn't stay when putting text into a text box. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I'm making business cards and labels in MS Word 2007.  After reading other entries I successfully got my normal.dot to retain the settings I chose and saved (took lots of looking around and several tries).  But - when I insert a text box and begin typing text, the text box has the default Microsoft settings (1.15 spacing, extra space after paragraph, font, etc.)  not the settings that are now available in the rest of the document.

I can "hand" format each text box, but when I save the document the words in the text box go back to the default settings. Very frustrating!

Is there any way to edit settings in the registry so it doesn't depend on normal.dot?  Or some way to ensure that the settings I want stay with the document?  Program?  Computer?

And why did Microsoft choose these defaults anyway?  I would much rather choose what I want and start with nothing.

Thanks!

Pam

P.S.  I've done this for years with no problem in previous versions.  This is the first time I'm using Windows 7, Word 2007.  Thanks - again!

Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:05 AM

Answers

• Have you looked into the following KB

Default line spacing and default paragraph spacing in Word 2007 differ from the default spacing in earlier versions of Word
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921174

Please review the KB. If you run the Fix-IT solution provided, your default Style set will be set to Word 2003 and you see the font, spacing what you used in Word 2003. Text within textbox will also appear with single spacing.

Regards!!! Navdeep Bawa
    Friday, January 7, 2011 5:54 PM
    Answerer