Shortcut - Run As Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i was just wondering about the following: Is there any fundamental difference between the various "run As Administrator" options.

1: You can select it from the Right click on a shortcut directly.

2. You can go to properties of the shortcut and either:

a. go to the Compatability menu - Select it there.

b. go to the Shortcut menu - Advanced - Select it there.

3. You can go to the Actual Exe the shortcut is referring to and either:

a. Select it from the Right click on the EXE directly. or even

b. right click to properties - Compatability - Select Run as Administrator..

Is there any fundamental difference in all these options?

Is it best to select ALL the boxes rather than only one?

Is selecting the option on the EXE the best option?

I do notice that: selecting compatibility - RunAsAdmin - from either the shortcut - OR- the .exe. ticks the corresponding box on the other. And UNselecting does the same.

BUT, un/selecting the exe - compatability - RunAsAdmin - Doesn't un/select the Properties- Shortcut - Advanced - RunAsAdmin checkbox also.

Is there a Right Way and a wrong way??

pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Changed type pkn2011 Monday, August 1, 2011 6:05 AM Not really a Question
    • Changed type pkn2011 Monday, August 1, 2011 6:06 AM Tho maybe it is?
    Monday, August 1, 2011 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the inquiry.

After reading this following KB artical, we will know there is no fundamental differences on the function side but Some program will respond to the check options but Some won't. Mostly it happens between older version and new version of programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 5, 2011 8:21 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the inquiry.

After reading this following KB artical, we will know there is no fundamental differences on the function side but Some program will respond to the check options but Some won't. Mostly it happens between older version and new version of programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 5, 2011 8:21 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi Magon, thank you for your reply. I've checked the link and there's lots of good info there on how to use UAC generally. This is definitely the Answer. :)

My Regards, Peter

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:42 AM