none
Ubuntu Server kernel panic on Hyper-V 3.0 when booting with a network connected to vNIC. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Ubuntu 12.04 vm that is running well under Windows Server 2008R2 (synthetic vNIC, LiC ok ...)

If i try to run this vm under Windows Server 2012, without any vNIC, or with Synthetic vNIC that is not connected to any vswitch, everything boot ok.

I can connect vNIC to network after booting, and get connectivity.

If i boot or restart while synthetic vNIC  is connected to a network, it crash.

I tried updating to 12.10, problem still there. Also did "echo "" > etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" without success.

Thx for any help.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:18 PM

All replies

• I'm also experiencing the same issue, but on Windows 8 Hyper-V.The Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS system is currently running on 2008R2 Hyper-V and is happy.

Once exported and imported to Windows 8 Hyper-V it crashes if the network is connected.

I did a fresh install of 12.04.1 LTS on Windows 8 Hyper-V and it worked fine. So it seems something is stuck in the config from running on 2008R2 Hyper-V.

I'm unsure what to do next, but I may have to do a backup and restore from backup into the working install as I don't believe there is much MS will be able to do.

Out of interest, what kernel are you running?

• Edited by ShawnZeppel Monday, January 28, 2013 7:57 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:37 AM
  • To exclude the VM configuration import/export as problem:
    How does it behave when you create a new VM on 2012 and attach a copy of the VHD's of the Ubuntu VM from 2008 R2?

You might want to set the MAC-Address manually to the same value as the curent VM otherwise you'll have to renaming NICs in udev or end up with eth1 instead of your (likely configured) eth0.

Would be interesting since I lack W8/2012 boxes yet and have a couple of Linux VMs including Debian and Ubuntu

Monday, January 28, 2013 12:21 PM