portal outlook.com shared mailbox inbox rule only partially functional RRS feed

• Question

• Using the URL https://outlook.office.com/owa/sharedmailbox@company.com/?offline=disabled&path=/options/inboxrules

There is a rule that moves e-mail sent to a shared mailbox - very basic: when these words are in the sender's address move message to a folder.

It works about half the time.

I have deleted the rule and re-created it. 

There is a link on the bottom of the Inbox Rules page "If your rules aren't working, click here to generate a diagnostic report." When I do that I always get an error: "There was an error generating the report. Please try again later."

I have full control on the shared mailbox.

1. Why doesn't this rule work all the time?

2. Why can't I generate a diagnostic report.

George Perkins

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi George,

I notice the title mentioned the Outlook.com shared mailbox. What's your mailbox type, Exchange Online mailbox in Office 365 or the Outlook.com account?

If possible, would you mind to take a screenshot about the Rule created in OWA?

Alternatively, the Exchange administrator can also check the Inbox Rule for this shared mailbox by running the following cmdlet:

Get-InboxRule -Mailbox sharedmailbox@company.com

Collect the information and share it here for further troubleshooting. If you accept, we can also consider to create the Inbox rule in Outlook client to have a try.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 18, 2017 9:20 AM
  • Clarification: this is an Exchange Online mailbox in Office 365.

Thinking perhaps there is a problem with some kind of cached or clustered delay when rules are updated, I simply disabled and deleted all rules for this shared mailbox yesterday and left it without any rule processing overnight. No unexpected "rule-like" activity occurred (just normal arrival of e-mail into the Inbox).

I have now re-created the rule and will wait 4 hours to see if it takes effect in a consistent and expected manner. If not, I will give you some screenshots.

In the mean time, can you explain the link on the bottom of the Inbox Rules page "If your rules aren't working, click here to generate a diagnostic report." When I do that I always get an error: "There was an error generating the report. Please try again later."?

George Perkins

Friday, August 18, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Here are screenshots of the rule that only works half the time. So strange it is not a consistent fail.

after clicking on the link to generate a diagnostic report...

thanks

George Perkins

Friday, August 18, 2017 10:37 PM
  • Hey Winnie Liang (MSFT CSG),

Do you have any further ideas? See the screenshots I've attached to this question. Thanks.

George

George Perkins

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 4:18 PM
  • Hey Winnie Liang (MSFT CSG),

Do you have any further ideas? See the screenshots I've attached to this question. Thanks.

George

George Perkins

Hi George,

Based on your screenshot, it seems that there is no issue with your Inbox Rule conditions and Actions. I also created a similar rule in my Exchange Online mailbox for a test. And there is no issue with the Inbox Rule:

And also no issue with sending Inbox Rule diagnostics reports to Inbox folder. In your scenario, please confirm if the issue only happens to one specific mailbox. Try to remove all other Inbox rules in Outlook on the web and Outlook desktop client. Just leave one specific rule and test for this mailbox.

Try to move this mailbox to another database to have a check.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:21 AM
  • I need a little time to try your suggestions, please don't propose as answer yet. I am not the Exchange administrator and will need to get a request in to try your suggestions.

Since this is a shared mailbox, trying to configure rules using the fat Outlook client doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't all users who share the mailbox be required to create the same rules if that approach was taken? Or am I mistaken on that.

George Perkins

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Hi George,

My mistake, I forget that this is a shared mailbox. But I want to clarify that we don't need to create the same rules to all users who access the shared mailbox.

In Outlook side, we can also create server side rule for the Exchange mailbox:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/outlooking/2015/05/01/client-side-vs-server-side-rules/

In your scenario, please check if the issue only happen to one specific shared mailbox. Maybe there is a mailbox corruption for it. Try to ask the Exchange administrator to create a new shared mailbox for a test. Feel free to give update there.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Haven't forgotten, still working on this. I did create an Inbox Rule on another mailbox using the portal.office365.com web client. It works as expected. I will ask my Exchange administrator if there is a way to create a new shared mailbox for a test. 

George Perkins

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Haven't forgotten, still working on this. I did create an Inbox Rule on another mailbox using the portal.office365.com web client. It works as expected. I will ask my Exchange administrator if there is a way to create a new shared mailbox for a test. 

George Perkins

Thanks for update to let us know the process is going.

Hope there would be a good news in your side :)

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:07 AM