none
Missing scroll bar in IE 10 multiselect box RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have an application that generates html pages containing multiselect boxes defined with MULTIPLE SIZE=4, so only 4 lines display at a time.  On the right side of these boxes, the browser provides a column with up and down arrows and a scroll bar.  In IE 8, the arrows are one row high, leaving two rows in the middle for the scroll bar.  But in IE 10 the arrows are two rows high, and the scroll bar is not visible or usable at all.  This renders the application very hard to use, since some of the boxes contain hundreds of values, and it is way too slow to scroll through by clicking on the the arrows.

Is there a way to get IE10 to behave like IE 8 (and Firefox and Chrome and Opera, I might add)?  I tried Compatibility View, and it doesn't help.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

IE10 follows Metro guidelines.... the scrollbar grippers are designed for the meatstick UI.

there is no api in MSIE to control scrollbar metrics only scrollbar colors which is not available in other browsers.

the workaround is to 'code for touch first'. An adaptive layout allows you to use the law of gravity to allow your content to flow in the y-axis. viz increase the select rows attribute value.

for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers please post to the MSDN IE Web Developers forum with a link to your website

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads

regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:15 PM
  • Thanks, Rob.

In my company, this is known as a UC, meaning an upward compatibility problem, meaning an application that worked fine on an older release of the product has problems on the new release.  When one of our customers discovers a UC in one of our products, we fix it right away.  But I guess Microsoft has different policies...

My developer tells me that, in IE10, the default size for multiselect boxes is 4, which means that anyone who codes the default should see the same problem when their users move to IE10.  But I haven't seen any other reports of this issue, so I don't know.

I posted the same question in the Web Developers forum, as you suggested.

--Lee

Friday, April 5, 2013 3:08 PM