Footnote issues in Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Some of my footnotes are not staying on the page with the main text to which they refer.  How can I fix this?
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:47 AM

Answers

• That sometimes happens when there are multiple footnote references on a page and Word cannot both paginate the document correctly and retain the start of a footnote on the same page as its reference. The answer to your "How can I fix this?" question depends on what you'd regard as an acceptable fix and whether that outcome is even possible.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Monday, September 21, 2015 7:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:55 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Paul, please see this similar thread and follow its' method:

Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Type in Footnote Text. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog, click Format, and then click Paragraph. You’ll find “Keep lines together” on the Line and Page Breaks tab.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b0cc372d-076c-4023-ac5d-dc27864d2389/keeping-footnote-on-the-same-page

If this issue still exists, please upload a screenshot about this issue.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by George123345 Friday, September 11, 2015 3:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:03 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 2:32 AM

All replies

• That sometimes happens when there are multiple footnote references on a page and Word cannot both paginate the document correctly and retain the start of a footnote on the same page as its reference. The answer to your "How can I fix this?" question depends on what you'd regard as an acceptable fix and whether that outcome is even possible.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Monday, September 21, 2015 7:47 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Paul, please see this similar thread and follow its' method:

Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Type in Footnote Text. Click the Modify button. In the Modify Style dialog, click Format, and then click Paragraph. You’ll find “Keep lines together” on the Line and Page Breaks tab.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b0cc372d-076c-4023-ac5d-dc27864d2389/keeping-footnote-on-the-same-page

If this issue still exists, please upload a screenshot about this issue.

Regards,

George Zhao

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by George123345 Friday, September 11, 2015 3:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:03 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 2:32 AM
  • George: Your link is to this thread, not a different one.

Libby: You might find the following link useful http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FootnoteOnDiffPage.htm

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Stefan BlomMVP Monday, September 21, 2015 7:46 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Thank you, Paul. I have updated the link reference.

Regards,

George Zhao

Friday, September 11, 2015 3:03 AM