Genuine Windows with harddrive replacement RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had my harddrive replaced for additional memory.  Now I get a message pop-up frequently that says "This computer is not running genuine Windows".  I am running Windows Ultimate 7.  How do I reactivate the license?
    Saturday, June 8, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• Contact Microsoft help at the phone number for your country and explain the problem.  Microsoft Technical Support will help you get your system activated.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, June 8, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

You can refer to the following article to activate the system.

Activate Windows 7 on this computer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/activate-windows-7-on-this-computer

If any error occurs, you can also contact Microsoft Customer. To contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support, telephone (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676). In Canada, call (877)568-2495.

Microsoft Customer Service hours of operation:

Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time

Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Raglandfm.

Normal activation in Windows 7 : go to "My Computer", rightclick for pop-up-menu, leftclick "Properties". You'll see your computers main stitistics, a performance-score and last but not least, the question to activate within x days (30 days max). When Activation does not work and/or when vallidity is in question, you can click the button "Ask for Genuine Windows" to the richt of the activation-lines.

HOWEVER!

With changing hardware you actually have a diferent computer. You might need a new licence. If you would've changed your motherboard you will need a new licence for sure. If you've changed other hardware - in your case harddrive - that can change validity of a manufacturers-licence, OEM.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Contact Microsoft help at the phone number for your country and explain the problem.  Microsoft Technical Support will help you get your system activated.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, June 8, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

You can refer to the following article to activate the system.

Activate Windows 7 on this computer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/activate-windows-7-on-this-computer

If any error occurs, you can also contact Microsoft Customer. To contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support, telephone (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676). In Canada, call (877)568-2495.

Microsoft Customer Service hours of operation:

Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time

Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:26 AM