USB COM Serial port RRS feed

• Question

• My computer only has USB ports.  

My application only allows COM ports. 

My PTZ Camera, has a USB cable for controlling it.  
    In windows 7, I could assign the USB port to a COM port and the control worked fine.

How do I do this in Windows 10?

Thank you

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:11 PM

Answers

• My guess is that your USB to the PTZ camera acts like a USB to COM cable, thus you are able to setup the comport. Was there a device driver that you installed for Windows 7?

I have used USB to Serial cables (with the latest prolific chip) to get a COM port on my Windows 10 systems. Windows 10 appears to have a USB to Serial drive  built in for my device.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Hi John,

So what do you want to achieve here?

To enable USB ports to be used as COM ports in Windows 10, or find some application that would convert the USB ports to COM ports?

Could we solve the problem by using a COM port to USB adapter?

For applications or devices, I suspect there should be drivers that enable the Converter feature, you may ask at the manufacturer and see if they could offer any further assistance.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:31 AM

All replies

• My guess is that your USB to the PTZ camera acts like a USB to COM cable, thus you are able to setup the comport. Was there a device driver that you installed for Windows 7?

I have used USB to Serial cables (with the latest prolific chip) to get a COM port on my Windows 10 systems. Windows 10 appears to have a USB to Serial drive  built in for my device.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Hi John,

So what do you want to achieve here?

To enable USB ports to be used as COM ports in Windows 10, or find some application that would convert the USB ports to COM ports?

Could we solve the problem by using a COM port to USB adapter?

For applications or devices, I suspect there should be drivers that enable the Converter feature, you may ask at the manufacturer and see if they could offer any further assistance.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Hi JohnF63,

What is your current situation?

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:04 AM