Vista is useing 800mb ram RRS feed

• Question

• ok I have to say sorry aswell been looking around but cant find anything about this on the forums but ok here we go.

i have been playing around with the proceces to see if i can lower how much visyta desk top is useing but seems to be svhost 3 of them running is there anything any one has found to lower the amount of ram used by vista because if there is not away of sorting this you need at least 4gb of ram to play games aswell..

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:16 AM

Answers

• Karl,

Vista will use RAM when nothing else is running to speed up the operating system tasks. However, it does scale and give up this memory when other applications need it, typically.

Early on in an installation, the system will index your files and perform shadow copy backups so you can restore to a previous state or see old versions of files. It is supposed to do this only when no other active process requires your resources. This is one of the main reasons for the "high load when idle" behavior people report.

Does your video card use shared memory, or is all of the video RAM on the card? I noticed when I enabled Aero and the shared memory on my NVIDIA card, I got a significant decrease in system performance because so much RAM was tied up in the desktop process (really, the shared video).

You can get a better idea of what's using RAM by using Performance Monitor. As a user with administrative privileges, click Start and then type "perfmon" (without the quotes) in the search box and press Enter. Perfmon will prompt you for permission to run because it reads from the Windows Kernel Trace provider. The Resource View screen you get when you start up has four sections you can expand that will show you exactly which process - and which instance of the process - is using resources. Since they are each identified by process ID, you can sort the columns in each section (Memory, CPU, Disk and Network) by ID and look at what each process is doing.

Please let me know what you find, since performance is my area. I hope I can help you out.

Saska

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:51 PM

All replies

• Karl,

Vista will use RAM when nothing else is running to speed up the operating system tasks. However, it does scale and give up this memory when other applications need it, typically.

Early on in an installation, the system will index your files and perform shadow copy backups so you can restore to a previous state or see old versions of files. It is supposed to do this only when no other active process requires your resources. This is one of the main reasons for the "high load when idle" behavior people report.

Does your video card use shared memory, or is all of the video RAM on the card? I noticed when I enabled Aero and the shared memory on my NVIDIA card, I got a significant decrease in system performance because so much RAM was tied up in the desktop process (really, the shared video).

You can get a better idea of what's using RAM by using Performance Monitor. As a user with administrative privileges, click Start and then type "perfmon" (without the quotes) in the search box and press Enter. Perfmon will prompt you for permission to run because it reads from the Windows Kernel Trace provider. The Resource View screen you get when you start up has four sections you can expand that will show you exactly which process - and which instance of the process - is using resources. Since they are each identified by process ID, you can sort the columns in each section (Memory, CPU, Disk and Network) by ID and look at what each process is doing.

Please let me know what you find, since performance is my area. I hope I can help you out.

Saska

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:51 PM
  • I would recommend using the MSconfig tool and stopping any uneccesary processes from booting up. This has laways sped up my machines in the past. In particular i would close the longhorn clock and office services and any other services that you do not use. The vista version of MSconfig only appears to display any processes that are not vital to the system.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:03 PM
  • I have noticed some thing similar on my Pc regarding how much ram is being used and even cpu usage too. I tried PC Cillin Vista 2 beta and also EZTrust AV on this PC to test them out. PC Cillin was causing it seem's for the 'System' process to use lots of CPU time - it will spike to 50-55% or more CPU load while the Real Time scanner is running. If I use EZTrust AV - the svchost.exe - one of them uses high amounts of ram AND CPU load.

I have come across another program I am trying instead though, called Avast! Antivirus. I think the memory usage can be tied to what programs you have installed on the system and how they are behaving with Vista.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:42 PM
  • Vista will use RAM when nothing else is running to speed up the operating system tasks. However, it does scale and give up this memory when other applications need it, typically.

Yah right. Speed up operating task by using all the ram and using 80% of CPU.

The only thing you get is a slow and overheating system.With vista running all pc seller will laugh.

Components will be stressed 24/7 at the max.

Way to go microsoft.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 3:18 AM
  • Yes, the way a program interacts with the operating system will have an impact on how well it performs. As stated above, I highly recommend performance Monitor as a way to see exactly what each application is doing with your resources. New installations of Antivirus software will *always* be resource-intensive, because they have to scan your entire system. Switching from one to another every few days will just result in constant high load. Give it at least a couple of days with some system idle time for each one before you make a determination about what it will do in the long term, performance-wise.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 7:54 PM