Lock up / freeze RESOLVED (see final post) RRS feed

• Question

• Inserting/ejecting a CD or DVD (especially a blank rewritable) occasionally causes PC lock up/freeze.

No cursor, no nothing;  reboot required.  No error message.  No event error.   ASUS P8P67le,  I7-2600K

For the first time in a long while a freeze occurred today while NOT using either optical drive.
    The machine was idle with Thunderbird mail on-screen.  When I turned back to it, it was frozen.

• Edited by borate Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:18 AM

Answers

• The optical drives are old, but the drivers are the latest.  Those drives were not in use when freezes while idling were experienced.  The freeze kills everything including the ability to bring up Task Manager.

BIOS update results still pending.   I'll give it another few weeks before declaring success.

***  It is now Dec. 28th.  Only one freeze since the 10th, when BIOS was updated, and that was when a DVD/RW was inserted.  This is promising.  Thread closed.
    • Marked as answer by borate Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you mean that only during the process of “inserting” and “ejecting”, the lock up/freeze occurred? Have you tried other CDs or DVDs? Sometimes a dirty CD or physical damaged CD can cause a lock up or freeze.

If the CD or DVD is OK, then I suggest you keep your PC update-to-date, especially for DVD/CD-ROM drivers.

Please also keep the latest BIOS and chipest drivers form the manufacture website.

Temporarily turn off security software, such as antivirus and anti-spyware programs, they can interfere if they are set to scan optical drives. During the scanning period, your PC might turn to be locked up for a while.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Thanks Yolanda,

Yes.  Inserting.  But not always.  Only on DVD/RW discs, it seems. (Optical drive virus scan is disabled in "Defender.")  But, as noted in my earlier post, the freeze has of late begun occurring randomly while simply idling.  Thrice in the past two days.  To my knowledge, no new software, hardware or drivers have been installed, but for routine  Windows Updates.

So, I have implemented your second suggestion, updating the (2011) BIOS.  ASUS does state that later versions incorporated stability improvements for W8.  Time will tell.  Please stay tuned to this thread.^_^

• Edited by borate Friday, December 13, 2013 2:43 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure to that it is not a “dirty” CD, and you already have the latest update of drivers

You can also try safe mode to eliminate some drivers conflicts.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

I also wonder whether you can use Task Manager after the PC freeze, press Ctrl+Alt+Del, lunch Task manager, then view if there are abnormal information.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:54 PM
  • The optical drives are old, but the drivers are the latest.  Those drives were not in use when freezes while idling were experienced.  The freeze kills everything including the ability to bring up Task Manager.

BIOS update results still pending.   I'll give it another few weeks before declaring success.

***  It is now Dec. 28th.  Only one freeze since the 10th, when BIOS was updated, and that was when a DVD/RW was inserted.  This is promising.  Thread closed.
    • Marked as answer by borate Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:49 PM