none
The Dashboard is unavailable. Contact your system administrator for assistance - error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Gurus

First of all sorry for posting new thread for older topic but i realized that other threads are quite old and people might miss 'yet-another-reply'. Hope it'd be ok.

I have tried almost every thing in trade

• Database name and connection is fine.

• Gave NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users read access on

• Dashboard

• KPI

• Scorecard

• Datasource

• Indicators (not required though)

• Added NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users and admin users in server tab of option page.
    • Created dashboard and Sharepoint site with same admin account.

Still I am getting "The Dashboard is unavailable. Contact your system administrator for assistance. "

Any help will be highly appreciated in this regard.

Thanks in advance...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:02 PM

Answers

• For PerformancePoint 2007:

The error "The Dashboard is unavailable. Contact your system administrator for assistance. " is caused because either the SharePoint web.config or the PPS Monitoring Webserivce web.config has its catalog setting pointing to an incorrect PPSMonitoring Database.

Resolution:
    1. Edit all three the web.config files and do a find for PPSMonitoring
    The three files default locations are:
    SharePoint C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80
    Monitoring WebService: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint
    Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService
    Preview: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint
    Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\Preview

2. Change this Catalog= to the correct Database in this line: <add
    key="Bpm.MonitoringConnectionString" value="Data Source=NAYAR2008;Initial
    Catalog=PPSMonitoring;Integrated Security=True" />
    4. Run IISreset
    5. Refresh your Dashboard and redeploy to SharePoint

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please make sure PPSMonitoringWebServiceApp Pool user is configured as site collection administrator for the SharePoint site.   The details are in this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb838737.aspx

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Just wondering if this has been resolved or not.  Does the dashboard deploy and work in Preview on the PPS server?  Is the SharePoint setup on the same server as the PPS server?  Are you certain that the Dashboard Viewer web part was deployed on the SharePoint server to the site collection that you are deploying too.  I would verify that the Dashboard Viewer web part is available.  If you go in and edit the web page that you deployed this to (site actions-->edit page) and try and adding a web part to the page.  Under the Miscellaneous section do you see the option to add PerformancePoint Dashboard Item?  If not then you need to run the PPS install on the SharePoint server (if it is setup on a separate server) and install the Dashboard Viewer web part to the site collection (or re-run the Monitoring Server Configuration Manager on the PPS server if you installed this on the same server and select the option to add an item and deploy the web part). 

From what you posted it sounds like the PPS security is setup and it sounds like you were successful in deploying the dashboard to SharePoint.  I am assuming you are using the default security setup for PPS and don't have this setup as Per User or Cusom Data (just using the Application Pool account permissions).  What type of data source are you using?  Does the SharePoint application pool have permissions to the data source (or are you using the same credentials in SharePoint as PPS to run the application pools)?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:17 AM
  • Still wondering if you have resolved your issue or not.  Just wondering if you verified that the PerformancePoint Dashboard Item web part was available for use on the SharePoint server.  Here is a screenshot to show what you should be looking for if you go in and edit the SharePoint page and add a web part - PerformancePoint Dashboard Item screenshot.

Also, if that is not your issue and you have all of the security setup appropriately then I would review the system requirements -

Verify that you installed the ASP.NET Ajax 1.0 Extensions on the server.

ASP.NET AJAX 1.0

Here is the site for the complete list of the requirements for reference - 

http://www.microsoft.com/business/performancepoint/productinfo/systemrequirements.aspx

If that does not solve your issue then let me know and we can take a look at other settings.

Dan English -- http://denglishbi.spaces.live.com
    • Edited by Dan English Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:50 PM updated hyperlink for download
    • Proposed as answer by Dan English Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:00 AM
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Hi Dan

I hope there is still some one that can assist me.  :)

I have created a sharepoint site on a different server (SERVER A)  to the one where the Monitoring Web Service (SERVER B)  is installed.  The PPSMonitoring database is again on a different server (SERVER C). 

I have installed only the web part component of PPS Monitoring Server onto server (SERVER A) where sharepoint has been installed . 

I have two dashboards in Dashboard Designer.  The first dashboard was created by myself.  I am able to preview this dashboard.  I have editor access on all components (i.e. datasources, reports etc) in the dashboard and have added myself as administrator via Option\Server\Connect\Permissions in Dashboard Designer.  I am NOT able to deploy this dashboard to the sharepoint site on (SERVER A).

I get the   "The Dashboard is unavailable. Contact your system administrator for assistance. " error.

The second dashboard was created by another user.  This use is added  as administrator via Option\Server\Connect\Permissions in Dashboard Designer.
    I AM able to deploy this dashboard to the sharepoint site on (SERVER A).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have tried everything.  I am not sure if this could be because everything is installed on different servers or if this is a security issue but dont understand why I deploy the dashboard created by another user but not created by me.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind Regards

Linda

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hi Linda,

just to confirm few things before coming to the actual problem

1) Under what account  does the PPS app pools and Sharepoint app pools are running??
    2)If you are the administrator on the SharePoint server , can you just go the link where the dashboard is deployed and click on site actions-> edit page->Modify shared webpart and add the performance point dashboard item. Check whether you can see the published dashboard created by you.
    3) Even in sharepoint web.config file just check bpmperserverconnection is set to true .

Please let me know what happens.

Thanks and regards,
    Ram
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:25 PM
  • I have the same issue, but i actually cannot see the Dashboards adding a PerformancePoint Dashboard Item Webpart !
    Monday, August 15, 2011 3:50 PM
  • For PerformancePoint 2007:

The error "The Dashboard is unavailable. Contact your system administrator for assistance. " is caused because either the SharePoint web.config or the PPS Monitoring Webserivce web.config has its catalog setting pointing to an incorrect PPSMonitoring Database.

Resolution:
    1. Edit all three the web.config files and do a find for PPSMonitoring
    The three files default locations are:
    SharePoint C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80
    Monitoring WebService: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint
    Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService
    Preview: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint
    Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\Preview

2. Change this Catalog= to the correct Database in this line: <add
    key="Bpm.MonitoringConnectionString" value="Data Source=NAYAR2008;Initial
    Catalog=PPSMonitoring;Integrated Security=True" />
    4. Run IISreset
    5. Refresh your Dashboard and redeploy to SharePoint

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:28 PM