I am missing the Preview Builds option... RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 10 installations are all missing the preview builds option and the build versions are not updating. Do I have a group policy setting in the way?

Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:34 PM

Answers

• OK, I figured it out. So I am a good little rule follower and run my systems as a non-administrator account and use UAC to elevate for all administrative activities.

Well I guess you don't get the Preview builds item if you're not logged in as an account with full administrator rights. Shame on you Microsoft, this option should be available to non-admins and then escalatable (new word!!!) on demand.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:20 PM

All replies

• Which Windows 10 ISO did you install, and what does your Charms menu look like under PC Settings - Update and Recovery??
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:30 PM
  • Enterprise preview build 9841 x64. Several weeks ago.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:55 PM
  • I would post a picture however I get the following message when I try to do so.

"Body text cannot contain images or links until we verify your account"

Interestingly enough I am using an outlook.com e-mail address.

In PC settings under Update and recover there is no Preview builds item.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:03 PM
  • OK, I figured it out. So I am a good little rule follower and run my systems as a non-administrator account and use UAC to elevate for all administrative activities.

Well I guess you don't get the Preview builds item if you're not logged in as an account with full administrator rights. Shame on you Microsoft, this option should be available to non-admins and then escalatable (new word!!!) on demand.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:20 PM
  • That seems actually like good design from Microsoft. I don't want a non-admin user to have any way of upgrading their PC - that should be solely reserved for admins.  And it's not like the option even appears for the user, so they won't know what they're missing.

In the Modern UI, there's no way to elevate (I believe that's the word you're looking for) user's rights - you either have it or you don't.  So all one can do is show what you can access, and hide the rest.   

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:42 PM