none
Append step is changing data from the source to the destination RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workbook with multiple queries fetching data from various web sources. A simple depiction of the common columns in these various queries is:

Rank, Player, Team, Position

I noticed that when I bring in one of the queries in an append step, it is changing the rank of one of the players. Instead of bringing that player as #2, it is bringing in as #1. As a result, I have two players coming in the combined table as #1, whereas in the source query table, I see a distinct #1 and #2.

In all the other append steps (there are 5 other appends I do), I don't see any particular data issue, just this specific one.

What could be the reason for this?

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Is the Rank in the source data, or is it a calculated column?
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:06 PM
    Owner
  • Is the Rank in the source data, or is it a calculated column?

It is in the source data originally, and in the append, it is in the source query. Not calculated.
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Sounds like a possible bug. Could you either paste your formulas (View -> Advanced Editor, then copy) here, or send a frown from the addin so we can investigate?

Thanks,

Ehren

Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:04 PM
    Owner
  • Sounds like a possible bug. Could you either paste your formulas (View -> Advanced Editor, then copy) here, or send a frown from the addin so we can investigate?

Thanks,

Ehren

I have sent the frown already, along with an extra screenshot of the source query where the rank is clearly shown as 1 and 2. Hope that helps. I can also paste the formula here but I have a feeling you may need the whole file to troubleshoot rather than just formulas?

Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:06 PM
  • I've been unable to locate the frown. Can you try resending, or post the relevant data here?

Ehren

Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:14 PM
    Owner
  • I've been unable to locate the frown. Can you try resending, or post the relevant data here?

Ehren

Just re-sent it (was stuck in Drafts). Can you please confirm you see it?

Friday, August 29, 2014 12:01 AM
  • It turns out the discrepancy was due to one query being recently refreshed, while another query had stale data filled to the Excel sheet. Refreshing everything removed the (apparent) inconsistency.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 6:06 PM
    Owner