AppV 5 Management Database - Install on remote server RRS feed

• Question

• App-V Management Database installation - repeatedly fails when attempting to install the database on a remote server with error msierrSQLFailedExecString. Error Code: 26204.  When run to install the database locally the installation succeeds.  The account specified during the installation has sysadmin and dbcreator roles for SQL. Using SQL 2008 R2. 

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:15 PM

Answers

• The setup wizard / database feature does not allow to create a remote database. It only supports creating local databases (so one option would be to execute it on the DB server).

The setup wizard / database feature does not work on a machine which is part of a SQL cluster

The App-V Management Server isntallation requires an existing database

You could use the .sql scripts that MS ships with the installer. For some advice, check http://kirxblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/remote-database-preparation-for-app-v-5/

During installation, it is the User Account of the installing user who access the database; during operation, it is the App-V Management Server's Machine account which is accessing the DB.

Falko

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:40 PM

All replies

• The setup wizard / database feature does not allow to create a remote database. It only supports creating local databases (so one option would be to execute it on the DB server).

The setup wizard / database feature does not work on a machine which is part of a SQL cluster

The App-V Management Server isntallation requires an existing database

You could use the .sql scripts that MS ships with the installer. For some advice, check http://kirxblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/remote-database-preparation-for-app-v-5/

During installation, it is the User Account of the installing user who access the database; during operation, it is the App-V Management Server's Machine account which is accessing the DB.

Falko

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the very same error message, while installing App-V server 5 ( the 2 DB roles) on my SQL server . SQL 2008 R2 or SQL 2012 gives me the same error msierrSQLFailedExecString . The account I am using to install App-V has administrative right on the  server, and I ran the app-v setup , by right clicking on the exe, run as administrator.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by cristianofam Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by cristianofam Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ictivity Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:25 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 3:41 PM
  • I had the same error (msierrSQLFailedExecString) until my DBA granted the correct rights to my admin account within SQL Management Studio. After my permissions were updated the install completed without issue.
    Monday, February 9, 2015 6:14 PM
  • I had a similar issue and ending up using the NETBIOS name of my domain since all the proper SQL permissions were in place already.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:39 PM
  • I have the same error with SQL 2014, database is local.

Have admin rights on SQL and server.

Hello!!! My mistake was that i have wrong domane name like mycompany.local\Admin

Than i try mycompany\Admin and it is installed correctly. I dont understand who cares.

• Edited by xAxellx Tuesday, April 7, 2020 8:27 AM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 7:24 AM