none
Backing up Data Protection Manager 2016 Itself RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to back up my only data protection manager 2016. The DPM 2016 machine is a virtual machine and I have a backup of the machine along with its data base through Veeam Backup and Replication. My replica volume is on an iSCSI attached NAS. I wonder if the DPM machine goes corrupted and I restore the machine along with its database using Veeam backup and then attaching data iSCSI volume to DPM again, it will work or I have to do further steps to attach the disk pool to DPM.

I also wonder if I use a second DPM server and use it to backup the first DPM server. Is it a must to backup the replica volume of the first server or not. It is just if I need to backup the replica volume of the first server in the second server, I have to allocate alot of space for that. If I do not backup the replica of the first server, can I assume the responsibility of protecting the protection group of the second server please? I am basically looking for a way to safely recover if the first DPM fails. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Pooriya

Pooriya Aghaalitari

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am assuming that the DPM 2016 server is running on Windows 2016 and you are only using Modern Backup Storage.

Yes, - should the DPM server (VM) or the DPMDB get corrupted and you need to restore them from Veeam backup, then the only additional step would be to make sure the modern storage is seen by the DPM VM and then run dpmsync -sync so the database is in sync with the recovery points on disk.

Secondary protection was designed for DPM fault tolerance and accomplishes the following.

a) Secondary can assume primary protection while primary dpm server is offline.
    b) Provides disaster recovery for recovery points should primary protection fail all together.
    c) Helps provide Tiered backups (disk to disk to tape, disk to disk to azure) at offsite location for multiple DPM servers.

The recovery goals can be different between primary and secondary and you can pick which data sources are mission critical to add to secondary protection.   You cannot add a protected server to the secondary after the primary fails, so keep at least one days recovery points for each protected server so you can switch protection in case of a failure. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am assuming that the DPM 2016 server is running on Windows 2016 and you are only using Modern Backup Storage.

Yes, - should the DPM server (VM) or the DPMDB get corrupted and you need to restore them from Veeam backup, then the only additional step would be to make sure the modern storage is seen by the DPM VM and then run dpmsync -sync so the database is in sync with the recovery points on disk.

Secondary protection was designed for DPM fault tolerance and accomplishes the following.

a) Secondary can assume primary protection while primary dpm server is offline.
    b) Provides disaster recovery for recovery points should primary protection fail all together.
    c) Helps provide Tiered backups (disk to disk to tape, disk to disk to azure) at offsite location for multiple DPM servers.

The recovery goals can be different between primary and secondary and you can pick which data sources are mission critical to add to secondary protection.   You cannot add a protected server to the secondary after the primary fails, so keep at least one days recovery points for each protected server so you can switch protection in case of a failure. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the answer. However, I am still have sort of confusion. In the secondary DPM server, I need to back up the protection groups from the DPM server or the replica volume. Is there any advantage in backing up the replica volumes? If I back up the protection group using for example daily frequency and the first DPM server  fails. If the first DPM fails and I switch protection, can I restore any restore point from the first server, which had more replication points please?

If I want to install a new Windows server 2016 along with DPM 2016 with the same or different name than the previous DPM and then restore the previously existing DPM server, can I still use my replica point on iSCSI NAS? What are the step that should be taken? I am sort of confused about this. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Pooriya 

Pooriya Aghaalitari

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:58 AM