How Exchange servers communicate with one another RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

I have a simple question as mentioned in the title just to understand Exchange servers better.  From some articles, I learned that Exchange servers use RPC to talk to each other. Do they use random RPC ports?  And what send/receive connectors do they use when Ex servers talk to one another?

Tianchen Qin
    MCSE 2003 & CCNP

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:00 AM

All replies

• Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:12 PM
  • Hi Tianchen Qin,

Any update now?
    If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 20, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately, your statements didn't answer my questions. I was asking the mechanism of sending/receiving emails between two Exchange servers. 

I performed some research, Exchange uses IntraOrg connectors and still via SMTP protocal

Tianchen Qin
    MCSE 2003 & CCNP

Monday, July 30, 2018 6:33 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately, your statements didn't answer my questions. I was asking the mechanism of sending/receiving emails between two Exchange servers. 

I performed some research, Exchange uses IntraOrg connectors and still via SMTP protocal

Tianchen Qin
    MCSE 2003 & CCNP

That's not what you asked however. Note the article I posted lists SMTP as used between servers under the section "Network ports required for mail flow"
    Monday, July 30, 2018 1:04 PM