No multi media support with 2012 Server Essentials R2 Preview? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Server 2012 R2 Datacentre Preview and then installed the R2 Essentials role into it.

I have got the Anywhere Access website working ok but if I go into the Dashboard and click on the Settings (top right) I do not see a Media tab - just General, Anywhere Access and BranchCache - is this correct and will it get added for RTM?

Justin

• Edited by Justin How Friday, July 5, 2013 3:30 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi, Justin, thanks for the feedback. Actually product team are still working on the media solution for Essentials role right now. But you are correct that the media streaming functionalities will be back available after we release RTM.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:56 AM

All replies

• I filed a bug 793053, we will see.  I bet it is removed by design :(

Don't bother making fun of my mouse labeling skills LOL

Grey

Monday, July 8, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Thanks for that

I am not too worried about this loss a I have moved my media to Plex.

Justin

Monday, July 8, 2013 3:25 PM
  • A lot of us have tried http://www.serviio.org/  You have any idea how plex compares?

Grey

Monday, July 8, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Not really - I don't know Serviio, but it looks pretty good from their website

I use XBMC PC in the lounge (still the best Home Theatre player I have seen) and use Plex (Media Server and Client) for streaming locally and over the internet to/via:

• Windows Win32 app
    • Windows 8 Metro app
    • Mac app
    • IOS apps
    • Android app
    • linux
    • Website (which runs on the Plex Media Server and is superb)
    • Samsung TV's (not over internet)
    • Roku (not over internet)
    • LG TV (not over internet)
    • Google TV (not over internet)

Plex also transcodes video on the fly or streams directly (file formats/target platform dependent). Plex also uses the basic XBMC 12.2 code base.

I have to say that the Plex development speed is pretty impressive and I love the app, although you need to pay $30 or so to get the latest versions.

Justin

• Edited by Justin How Monday, July 8, 2013 4:06 PM update
    Monday, July 8, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hi, Justin, thanks for the feedback. Actually product team are still working on the media solution for Essentials role right now. But you are correct that the media streaming functionalities will be back available after we release RTM.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Excellent!

Justin

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:58 AM
  • Any ETA?
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:51 PM
  • When the product RTMs.

Don't Retire TechNet

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:44 AM
  • So now that Server 2012 R2 has RTM'ed can you confirm the media parts are still in it?

Justin

Friday, September 6, 2013 12:45 PM
  • I saw screenshots of RTM version (9600), media part not include in it. May be need try install some add role or features, but this is likely not supplied.
    Monday, September 9, 2013 5:57 AM
  • That is very disappointing if it got dropped.

Justin

Monday, September 9, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Don't assume that the only way code can get on Essentials is through the code that ships with the product.  Add ins can be used to add features when things can't be shipped with releases for unknown reasons.  And furthermore, how did you guys see RTM screenshots?  No one outside of OEM and bittorrent has RTM code.

Don't Retire TechNet

Monday, September 9, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I've just downloaded the final release of Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials (not the Essentials Server role) from MSDN avail as of 10th Sep and.... NO Media :-(
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:49 AM
  • Again, not everything will be on the RTM.  They are having to put some things as a separate download (wait until October) due to Lawyers, Country distributions, etc.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:51 AM
  • Bottom line guys, hang tight, and don't assume that what you see in RTM is the final story here.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:52 AM
  • I've just downloaded the final release of Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials (not the Essentials Server role) from MSDN avail as of 10th Sep and.... NO Media :-(

Same here (I got my WSE2012R2RTM from TechNet), Installed it & couldn't find Media Streaming anywhere, I don't recollect seeing any announcements about this - I was about to format & reinstall until I saw your post

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:44 PM
  • It is likely to be released separately and shortly after GA along with the Windows Phone and Win 8 app.

Justin

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:47 PM
  • What he said.  Patience folks.

Don't Retire TechNet

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Just to point out that when server 2012 essentials went RTM it did have the media features available.  Now with 2012 r2 essentials the media features have been removed in RTM when they were available in the Preview. So this suggests that Microsoft has removed the functionality of it from 2012 r2 Essentials.

I'd like to hear what someone from Microsoft has to say about the issue.  Removal of the media features or making it a separate purchase will make anyone looking to upgrade their home server look else where

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:08 AM
  • It won't be a separate purchase.  it will be an add in.  Lawyers had to die in order to get it as an add in rather than in the product because they couldn't get it in the Essentials role without legal wrangling.

Gang, just be patient.

<<<<READ THIS ANSWER PLEASE>>>>>

(edit  read this note added on 10/14/2013)

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Again, I don't really know why anyone is worried of such a a poor feature.  It looks great on the first page but when you actually try to use it and discover just some of it weaknesses, you look elsewhere for stuff like serviio and plex.

Grey

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:17 AM
  • Do we have any idea what the roadmap is for this?  Is it completely discontinued or is this going to be a plug-in that will be installed at a later date?  All of the hype over converting this from Silverlight to HTML5 but we really don't have much evidence of that with the releases we are looking at.

Dave Durand

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:59 PM
  • See my comment.  It's a add in coming at GA.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:13 PM
  • I just installed the RTM version of 2012 R2, and the Media features are still missing. Is there a plan to actually put this back into the product? If not, I am going to downgrade my server back to 2012. If I had known it was not in R2, I would have never upgraded my server in the first place!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:02 AM
  • Does everyone ignore my posting?  Seriously I'm getting a complex regarding how many times I keep posting this and no one is reading my comment.

There will be an add in to add this back around General Availability.

General availability is officially LATER ON THIS WEEK.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:09 AM
  • In fact I answered this in the post right above yours.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:10 AM
  • We read your post but it is still missing.

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:18 AM
  • As stated by the Microsoft employee near the top "But you are correct that the media streaming functionalities will be back available after we release RTM."

He specifically does not say at release but after release. My guess would be within a month approx.

Justin

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:24 AM