Memory Remapping Feature for Vista (using more than 3 GB RAM) RRS feed

• Question

•  

It would have been EXTREMELY HELPFUL if microsoft could have given some type of warning to gamers (such as myself) that with the 32-bit OS, you can't use more than 3 GB RAM. I just found out about the ability to use a memory remapping feature in Vista, but only if you have the 64-bit OS. And your system compatibility must match up.

If there is some way that Microsoft could possibly add this feature (long shot) to the 32-bit OS as perhaps a service pack (as in XP), it would make my, and a few million PC gamers' lives a whole lot easier and less costly.

If there is a solution out there that I obviously have not discovered yet... Please post something.

I'm currently running:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit

Intel 975xbx2 Motherboard w/Core 2 Quad CPU

4 GB Memory (RAM)-------only using 3 GB

GeForce NVIDIA 8600 GT Video Card

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hi The Blue Demon

Thank you for the post.

For this issue and its workaround, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi The Blue Demon

Thank you for the post.

For this issue and its workaround, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:54 AM
  • Although "I do" appreciate the reply to this topic and taking the time to post a link. The link may help future users but not me.

Because I ALREADY MENTIONED that I am running on a 32-bit system and that's why (so far) I can't use all of my RAM. I've already seen the page on microsoft.com and all it did was shut the door in my face telling me "OH WELL YOU'RE S.O.L."

So, to reiterate my purpose for this thread, if anybody knows of a "workaround" a "patch" or a safe "beta" that can fix this, then great. It would be preferable if the possible answer did not require PURCHASING A 64-BIT OS. So please do not post buying a new OS as your answer.

I'm just so frustrated with microsoft right now.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:17 AM
  •  

Hi The Blue Demon,

Thank you for the reply.

We are always striving to capture any feedback from our partners and customers so as to ensure that we are continuously developing products that meet our customer needs. Suggestions like yours are always appreciated and taken seriously.

As I know, Windows XP 32bit has the same issue too. Please understand that this is a by design issue and we do not have other workarounds now. However, I will forward this information to our product development group and hope they can release a hotfix to resolve this issue. Please be assured that once I get more information about this issue, we will add it to this thread as soon as possible. You can monitor this thread in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:31 AM