SCOM 2007 R2 not detecting Exchange 2007 servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.  I'm having an issue getting a new install of scom 2007 r2 to recognize my Exchange 2007 servers.  These servers are virtual and they're all on Server 2008.  SCOM itself is on Server 2008 r2.  Everything else seems to be working all right.  I have the Exchange 2007 Management Pack. 

When I go to Authoring>>Groups and view the members of the Exchange Computer group I see them in there, but I don't seem them under the various Exchange Roles groups. 

Any ideas?

• Moved by Graham Davies Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:08 PM Management Pack question (From:Authoring)
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi

This is by design and correct - "Also, I just ran the target type search under Monitoring again.  Now my exchange servers are showing up as not monitored when I look for Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper.  I don't know if something changed and I had to wait 24 hours or something, but all 4 are showing up now." - see below from the original url that I posted:

To verify that Discovery Helper has discovered your Exchange 2007 servers

1.   Ensure that you have not scoped your views.

2.   Go to the Discovered Inventory view in the Monitoring section of the Operations console.

3.   Right-click and choose Select Target Type.

4.   In the Look for field, type Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper, select it, and then click OK. A list of Exchange 2007 servers appears with a status of “Not Monitored.”

Now you need to enable the discoveries - http://blogs.technet.com/momteam/archive/2010/02/23/exchange-2007-management-packs-do-not-automatically-monitor-exchange-servers.aspx

To enable Exchange 2007 Server Role Discovery

1.   Go to the Object Discoveries node located under Authoring in the Operations console.

2.   In the Look for field, type Exchange 2007 Server Role and click Enter. A list of Exchange 2007 Server Role Discoveries appears. You need to enable Server Role Discoveries of the following discoveries:

Discovery Name

Description

Exchange 2007 CCR Clustered Mailbox Server Role Discovery

Discovers CCR and SCC clustered Mailbox servers

Exchange 2007 CCR Node Role Discovery

Discovers CCR node servers in a CCR cluster (the physical nodes)

Exchange 2007 Standalone CCR Node Discovery

Discovers standalone CCR node roles (nodes that are participating in log shipping but are not part of an active Mailbox server) and standalone mailbox roles

Discoveries only run every 24 hours - you can change this via an override to get the servers discovered more quickly ... just remember to change it back (delete the override) when the servers are discovered.

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Exchange 2007 Roles are not discovered automatically anymore. You have to do some overrides to enable the roles discoveries : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772530.aspx

Regards.

François Dufour

My Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Graham Davies Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I gave it a shot.  We'll see if it picks it up! 
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Just as the following article says, I also think this should be helpful:

Exchange 2007 Management Packs do not automatically monitor Exchange servers

http://blogs.technet.com/operationsmgr/archive/2010/02/23/exchange-2007-management-packs-do-not-automatically-monitor-exchange-servers.aspx

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:53 AM
  • I followed the first article and no luck after 24 hours.  I just followed the second article (the one that says to allow the servers to manage others or something like that) and I'll check to see if that works tomorrow.

I'll check out the other article from Nicholas if that doesn't work. 

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:13 PM
  • I'm afraid I'm still not having any luck.  I gave it 24 hours and they're still not apperaing in the Role groups.  Since they are in the Exchange Computer Group, will they still report errors or do they need to be in the Role Groups specifically?
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:25 PM
  • We would need to know what step you're at.

Do your servers show up in the discovered inventory view?

To verify that Discovery Helper has discovered your Exchange 2007 servers

2.   Go to the Discovered Inventory view in the Monitoring section of the Operations console.
    4.   In the Look for field, type Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper, select it, and then click OK. A list of Exchange 2007 servers appears with a status of “Not Monitored.”

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Friday, April 9, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Okay, I did that step before and they did show up as not monitored.  Now when I do it, nothing shows up at all.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Is the agent installed on the Exchange servers you want to monitor? Did you enable the agent proxy setting? If you are using an action account which is not local system, did you populate the EXchange RunAs profiles?

Does the Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0 registry key exist on the Exchange servers?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Monday, April 12, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Yes, the agent is installed on the Exchange servers.

Also, I just ran the target type search under Monitoring again.  Now my exchange servers are showing up as not monitored when I look for Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper.  I don't know if something changed and I had to wait 24 hours or something, but all 4 are showing up now.

Yes, I have enabled the agent proxy setting.

My agent action account is actually a domain admin, so I shouldn't have any issues with rights, etc.

The Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0 registry key does exist on the Exchange servers.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Hi

This is by design and correct - "Also, I just ran the target type search under Monitoring again.  Now my exchange servers are showing up as not monitored when I look for Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper.  I don't know if something changed and I had to wait 24 hours or something, but all 4 are showing up now." - see below from the original url that I posted:

To verify that Discovery Helper has discovered your Exchange 2007 servers

4.   In the Look for field, type Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper, select it, and then click OK. A list of Exchange 2007 servers appears with a status of “Not Monitored.”

Now you need to enable the discoveries - http://blogs.technet.com/momteam/archive/2010/02/23/exchange-2007-management-packs-do-not-automatically-monitor-exchange-servers.aspx

To enable Exchange 2007 Server Role Discovery

1.   Go to the Object Discoveries node located under Authoring in the Operations console.

2.   In the Look for field, type Exchange 2007 Server Role and click Enter. A list of Exchange 2007 Server Role Discoveries appears. You need to enable Server Role Discoveries of the following discoveries:

Discovery Name

Description

Exchange 2007 CCR Clustered Mailbox Server Role Discovery

Discovers CCR and SCC clustered Mailbox servers

Exchange 2007 CCR Node Role Discovery

Discovers CCR node servers in a CCR cluster (the physical nodes)

Exchange 2007 Standalone CCR Node Discovery

Discovers standalone CCR node roles (nodes that are participating in log shipping but are not part of an active Mailbox server) and standalone mailbox roles

Discoveries only run every 24 hours - you can change this via an override to get the servers discovered more quickly ... just remember to change it back (delete the override) when the servers are discovered.

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:03 PM
  • I had a lot of those enabled already.  I went ahead and enabled all the roles mentioned in the article, though.  I checked under Monitoring in Hub Transport>>Servers State and there were Hub Transport servers listed there.  It still said not monitored, though.  I'm not sure why that is since clearly they are being discovered now.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Nevermind...they are now showing as Healthy.

Thanks for all your help!

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:03 PM