Save excel to FTP net share RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

We have some users, that are using a FTP net share - same as a local Net share in Windows Explorer.

The users have full access to their own folder in our file struture, so they can delete and create all the files within their own folder as they want.

The only issue is, that we can easyli copy files from Windows Explorer (Desktop, Documents etc...) to the FTP location within Windows Explorer.

But when trying to save directly from Word, Excel etc - then we get this error:

So i cant save at this location, so i tried to enter some of the folders in the root FTP structure for one of the users - but i cant access any folders in from the Excel "Save As..." menu.

I hope some of you have some ideas, because im kinda lost :)

Datatechnician

• Edited by KSL28 Friday, June 20, 2014 7:06 AM Added picture
    Friday, June 20, 2014 7:05 AM

Answers

• Hi, that's because you can not have an open file on a ftp location. it is not supported by the protocol (which is as the name states a FileTtransfer Protocol)

When an application 'saves' a file, it creates a new empty file, opens it, puts the content in and closes it. thesese actions are simple no possible over FTP

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Marked as answer by KSL28 Friday, June 20, 2014 9:55 AM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi, that's because you can not have an open file on a ftp location. it is not supported by the protocol (which is as the name states a FileTtransfer Protocol)

When an application 'saves' a file, it creates a new empty file, opens it, puts the content in and closes it. thesese actions are simple no possible over FTP

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Marked as answer by KSL28 Friday, June 20, 2014 9:55 AM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Hello.

This is GREAT info - Thanks! :)

Then it also makes sense, why the error "The file is marked as read only" appeared to the users, when they tried to save!

Datatechnician

Friday, June 20, 2014 9:56 AM