none
Internet Explorer 8.0 doesn´t open Word files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have a computer. Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1, Internet Explorer 8.0 and Office 2010 SP1. I have saw that Google chrome is also installed on it.

When I want to open a word file in the intranet the internet explorer ask me if I want to run the file. When I click run - nothing happens. When i click save. I save the file on the desktop, then I can open the word file. This issue is only with word files, open pdf files no problems, excel also.

Thanks advance for you help.

Regards

Türkay Caglayan

Monday, March 17, 2014 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you open other site word document with internet Explorer? Could you open other office file, such as Excel, PPT with Internet Explorer?

Try turn off "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" feature:

1. Located on the Internet Explorer

2. Locate to Tools Menu-> Internet Options->Advanced Tab",  near the bottom of the list. 

3. find out "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" checkbox and make sure it is unchecked.

Also please refer to this article to check your settings:

How do I control how a Word document opens from the internet or an intranet?

http://shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/opendocinie.html

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:17 AM
  • internet explorer ask me if I want to run the file. When I click run - nothing happens.

What are you expecting to happen in that scenario?  E.g. open Word or open the document in IE?  If the latter try changing your options so that you always get Word to open instead.  Similarly, it would help if you would clarify if this is what you are seeing with your other two non-Word examples.  You may get more informed help for this scenario from a forum which specializes in Word.  E.g. they would be more likely to be familiar with the interaction of both products.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:22 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Could you open other site word document with internet Explorer? Could you open other office file, such as Excel, PPT with Internet Explorer?

Try turn off "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" feature:

1. Located on the Internet Explorer

2. Locate to Tools Menu-> Internet Options->Advanced Tab",  near the bottom of the list. 

3. find out "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" checkbox and make sure it is unchecked.

Also please refer to this article to check your settings:

How do I control how a Word document opens from the internet or an intranet?

http://shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/opendocinie.html

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:17 AM
  • internet explorer ask me if I want to run the file. When I click run - nothing happens.

What are you expecting to happen in that scenario?  E.g. open Word or open the document in IE?  If the latter try changing your options so that you always get Word to open instead.  Similarly, it would help if you would clarify if this is what you are seeing with your other two non-Word examples.  You may get more informed help for this scenario from a forum which specializes in Word.  E.g. they would be more likely to be familiar with the interaction of both products.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:22 AM
    Answerer