Migrating CM7 Secondary w/ Server Share to CM12 DP difficulties RRS feed

• Question

• So its possible to migrate a CM7 server share DP to a standard CM12 DP. And its possible to migrate a CM7 Secondary w/ standard DP to a CM12 Standard DP.

But it is NOT possible to migrate a CM7 Secondary w/ server share DP to a standard CM12 DP. At least not through the automated process.

Which sucks. Because all 130+ of my secondary sites have server share DPs.

TechNet says "In this scenario, you can enable a standard distribution point on the secondary site server and then redistribute the content to that standard distribution point. This does not use network bandwidth, and when complete, you can uninstall the distribution point on the server share, remove the server share, and then upgrade the distribution point and secondary site."

I'm assuming this means I do the following -

• Add a standard DP to the Secondary Site
    • Use the Copy Packages wizard to duplicate the content ("make this DP look like the server share DP")
    • New standard DP gets created and content deployed from compressed PCKs which are local to the new DP.
    • Delete the server share from the secondary site
    • Rerun data gathering from CM7
    • Run the DP upgrade on the CM7 Secondary Site
    • Have a beer.

Sound about right? I mean, that's over 130 beers.

Mind you, my main goal is minimizing WAN usage. Some of my DPs have over 150GB of content, even after paring down.

• Edited by ChrisMullins Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:38 PM

Answers

All replies