Is it possible to run a program that requests elevation with a standard user's rights? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible, in a standard user account, to run a program that requests elevation with the standard user's rights?

Situation: a program installer requires elevation. However, if the standard user could run it with their standard rights, they could install the program just for the user. So they could install games just for themselves, confined within their accounts and not annoy the administrator (me). :P

Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:13 PM

Answers

• IF the setup has been designed in a way that it installs on a per-profile basis then elevation would not be required.You can tweak the UAC setttings but it would go against your systems security.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lopardo2003 Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, July 19, 2010 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:20 AM

All replies

• I found that you can add values for programs in:

HKLM or HKCU
    \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Name: path to the program
    Type: REG_SZ (string)
    Data: RUNASINVOKER

That will cause the program to run with the user's rights and will enable process virtualization. However, most installers ask for elevation anyway or fail because they check whether the process have administrator rights, so I'm back to square one. It would work if it'd let me install in a folder where the user has write permissions without UAC prompts.

InstallShield asks for elevation right away, and when you add the registry value, it fails.

Windows Installer doesn't ask for elevation right away. But it does after you select install options and before it starts installing, even if you choose a folder where the standard user can write to.

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:52 PM
  • IF the setup has been designed in a way that it installs on a per-profile basis then elevation would not be required.You can tweak the UAC setttings but it would go against your systems security.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lopardo2003 Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, July 19, 2010 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:20 AM