none
WSB for VM with pass thru disk

Question

• I have a VM exchange 2013 under Failover cluster with pass thru disk . I scheduled a daily backup of this Virtual server by attaching an additional pass thru disk as dedicated backup drive for dail full backup. Before adding this dedciated backup drive to the VM , I have presented it to the failover cluster and then added it to the VM as pass thru disk. However, now I am getting an error in VMM as "unsupported cluster configuration" for this Exchange VM. Though the server is wrkng fine , I believe that ,  when the dedicated pass thru  disk is being used , it will be removed  from the vm  windows explorer hence the cluster settings got screwed up.

Conlcusion:  pls suggest me the best way to use WSB for VM with pass thru disk under failover cluster

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi MaverickIT,

Windows Server backup is not supported for VMs with passthrough disk.

>>I scheduled a daily backup of this Virtual server by attaching an additional pass thru disk as dedicated backup drive for dail full backup.

Is it the only passthrough disk on the VM?

If yes, I suppose you could attach the disk to another server, and create a share folder to be the storage for backup.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Passthrough disks are not supported in a cluster.

They break the High Availability model of allowing the VM to failover to a different host.  Since the disk is attached to only one host.

In essence, your VM is no longer highly available.  If it fails over to another host, your backups are broken.

The solution is to present some volume or share that is accessible by any of the hosts.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:11 PM
  • It is possible to add a pass-through disk to a VM in a failover cluster (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/440.hyper-v-how-to-add-a-pass-through-disk-on-a-failover-cluster.aspx) and retain HA for the VM, but it is NOT a recommended procedure for all sorts of reasons.

Additionally, since WSB does not support pass-through disks, Brian's suggested solution makes the most sense.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:26 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:50 AM