Tracking deleted cookies (IE10 & IE11) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to track down why cookies are being deleted from my Windows 7 system. The system is a member of AD and managed via Group Policy. I have checked all GPOs (Computer and User) and cannot find any IE setting that would force deletion of IE cookies.

I suspected 3rd party AV software may have been deleting cookies. I can confirm the AV software is deleting certain "tracking cookies" but not cookie I have an issue with. I have ran full on-demand scans as well as active-scans (ran at pre-boot and during the day), but the problem cookie is not removed.

I also relocated the "Temporary Internet Files" location to an alternate location, but the issue still persists. Note, it's just the cookie that is being deleted, not any other temporary internet files.

I've downloaded IECookiesView & FolderChangesView (both from nirsoft) and and trying to track changes to cookies and the cookie folder itself. I cannot manually reproduce the issue, it appears to he random.

I have added the specific web server to the "Local Intranet Zone" and current level for this zone is Medium-low.

Any suggestions welcome.

• Edited by Enigma IE Tuesday, December 1, 2015 3:31 PM added in intranet zone
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

document 'cookie' crumbs can expire at any time specified by the developer...

f12>Networking tab, click the start button to record your network traffic...

double click on a request or response item to view its header where the cookie information is viewable.

If you are a developer using IE11, then there is also a button on the Networking tab of dev tools to 'always refresh from the server' which may be also over-writing any cookie information that you have not yet posted back to the server with a forward expiry date.

There is also settings for document cookies on the 'Content' tab of Internet Options. (nothing to do with IE security zones)

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:13 PM
  • Hi Enigma,

Thank you for your question.

It may be caused by some websites cookies was blocked, we could check the setting by the following steps:

1. Open IE->Internet Options->Privacy->Site->block
    2. Then we could check if there are any websites in it

We could refer to the part which is “To block or allow cookies from specific websites” by the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-to-manage-cookies-in-internet-explorer-9

Notice: This link also apply to IE10 or 11.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by jim-xu Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi and thank you for replies.

@jim, my cookies are not getting blocked and get saved to my file system as expected. The issue I am having is that somehow my cookies are disappearing (various different internal websites). It appears random, sometimes more than once per day, sometimes for for a few days.

@rob, thank you for the information. I've never used/seen F12 tools in IE before (my background is more infrastructure). I can view the cookies on my file system and can see they are valid anything fro 2 weeks to 1 year, depending on the site.

On my General Tab,  within browsing history, deleting cookies is de-selected. On the Content Tab, I have previously disabled the ability for users to save "form" data, but don't see anything on this tab that relates to cookies specifically?

I'm using Process Monitor (instead of F12 / Packet Capture on IE) and am monitoring the following folders:

Temporary Internet Files folder and

c:\users\$username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies folders

I can't reproduce the problem, so gathering logs (filtered), but as I can't replicate the issue, it's nearly a case of waiting for when the issue reoccurs.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Hi Enigma,

For testing, we could uninstall A/V software to check if the issue persist.

If not, please try to rebuild Windows profile or use another account to login to verify it.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:36 AM
  • @Jim Xu, it is looking like an AV issue at the moment. Within the AV logs, there's a line item saying it has removed "Unused Cookies", but doesn't give any additional detail.  I am following up with AV vendor.

The security policy of the organization means I am not permitted to remove the AV software.

Will advise when I know more.

B

• Edited by Enigma IE Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Hi Enigma,

If the issue was caused by A/V software, we agree you get help from A/V vendor.

Notice: uninstall A/V is just for troubleshooting.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Friday, December 18, 2015 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:44 AM