none
How to connect to Microsoft Access database in dashboard designer? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect to ACCESS db using ODBC type of source by providing the below connection strings.

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\srujan\Desktop\test.mdb

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\srujan\Desktop\test.mdb;User ID=admin;

But i am not able to connect by using the above one.

I am getting the below error:

"The PerformancePoint Server could not connect to the specified data source. Verify that either the current user or application pool user has Read permissions to the data source, depending on your security configuration. Also verify that all required connection information is provided and correct."

Please suggest me..
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:35 AM

Answers

• Your connection string should look like the following and you will need to make sure that if you are using the default security that the identity running the application pool as permissions to the data source based on where it is located.

Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Dbq=C:\Temp\ODBC Test\ODBCSample.mdb;Uid=admin;Pwd=;

So yours would be:

Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Dbq=C:\Documents and Settings\srujan\Desktop\test.mdb;Uid=admin;Pwd=;

Just make sure that the necessary permissions have been granted to access this location.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Dan English Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:19 PM

All replies

• Your connection string should look like the following and you will need to make sure that if you are using the default security that the identity running the application pool as permissions to the data source based on where it is located.

Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Dbq=C:\Temp\ODBC Test\ODBCSample.mdb;Uid=admin;Pwd=;

So yours would be:

Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Dbq=C:\Documents and Settings\srujan\Desktop\test.mdb;Uid=admin;Pwd=;

Just make sure that the necessary permissions have been granted to access this location.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Dan English Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Thanks a tonn.. it worked :)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:51 PM
  • Hello,

I could connect to a Access Database in Dashboard Designer in order to create a pivot chart. It did work well in Dashboard Designer. However, after publishing this chart to a Sharepoint site, the chart did not appear at all. The same error happened when I tried to integrate the chart into a dashboard and pre-view it before publishing to Sharepoint. Could you please give me some advice how to solve the problem?

Many Thanks in advance!!!

Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Does Dbq mean something?

I get an error message.

"Server Error:  An error occurred while retirieving the list of Databases from : The server for the data source returned a non-specific error when trying ot execute your query.  Check the format and content of your query and try again. If the problem persists, contact the servcer administrator."

Do I need to place the name of the ODBC connection somewhere within this string?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:14 PM