none
% Work complete and actual work not updated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am working on Project online and I was surprised that when a resource submits a timesheet with actuals entered, and when the manager approves the timesheet updates, % work complete is not updated in the project schedule. 

I tried publishing the project, tried also checking it in and out, but non of this worked. 

Is there any way to solve this ?

Regards Yasmeen Zada

Friday, September 28, 2018 8:07 AM

All replies

• Yasmeen --

If you are using the Timesheet page in PWA for team members to submit their time and task progress, then you need to know that there are two types of updates that must be approved.  Resource managers need to approve the timesheets as a whole.  Project managers need to approve the task updates for the tasks in their projects.  The progress will not appear in any project until the project manager has approved the pending task updates.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 28, 2018 6:56 PM
  • Can you explain it more with an example please. 

I send the task updates for approval, and it appears only one one user's approval page.

Regards Yasmeen Zada

Saturday, September 29, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Yasmeen --

The task update will be sent to the Status Manager of the task.  You asked a question about this in another forum.  If your organization is not using Microsoft Project Professional, this is going to cause you all kinds of problems, because you cannot update the Status Manager using the PWA user interface.  The Status Manager of each task is the person who approves task updates from team members assigned to tasks in the project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, September 29, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Dale, 

I went through this whole process, but still, the % work complete did not update. 

Tasks were sent for approval to the project manager. then timesheet was submitted to the timesheet manager. Both were approved, yet nothing is changed in my project plan!! 

I also tried publishing the project plan, but everything is still the same.

Regards Yasmeen Zada

Sunday, September 30, 2018 5:27 AM
  • Sometimes, projects are created by one person and then reassign to a project manager.  When this occurs the project manager is not the same as the Status manager.  And usually, you want them to be the same.

Open project schedule from project pro and add the column "Status Manager" .   Verify that status manager is the person approving time.   If not, then update status manager to the same as project manager and publish.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Sunday, September 30, 2018 3:22 PM