Printer redirection in RDP activex RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am tryingconnect to windows 2008 R2 and windows 2008 from my computer via an RDP activex.

When the activex is activated in windows 2008 and windows 2008 R2 some of the printers aren't being redirected and I see an error in the event log that the  the printer driver is missing. I entered to the server and turn on the easy printers feature but is still doesn't work.

The strange issue is when i am using RDP client (mstsc.exe) from the same computer I can see all my installed printers in the remote server.

I searched for known issues in the internet but I didn't find any similar issue about this scenario. 

Thanks for the helpers,
    Erez

Sunday, October 17, 2010 8:23 AM

Answers

• Hi, Erez,

How do you connect through ActiveX control? I guess you are using the legacy RDP ActiveX control interface to connect.

The new RDP client still supports the legacy RDP ActiveX interface (Win2003 style) for backward compatibility. However the legacy interface does not support EasyPrint. We recommend you to move to the new ActiveX interface (using CLSID:4eb89ff4-7f78-4a0f-8b8d-2bf02e94e4b2). You can find a sample web page in your Windows\Web\RDWeb\Pages\en-US\Desktops.aspx if you have installed the RDS Web Access role on WS08 R2 machine.

Monday, October 25, 2010 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Erez, have you tried the latest client e.g. RDP 7.0? hat operating system are you using? I would suggest to update to the latest RDP client first. Please also keep in mind that not all printers can be EasyPrinted so to speak. But if you experience the above it means that it might be the Active X issue and upgrade of the clientmight help.
    PubForum.net Founder, TS Training in Europe! Love Microsoft &its people to bits!
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:23 PM
  • The remote server operating system is 2008 R2 and the client operating is also server 2008 R2 and i am using RDP 7.0.

The printers redirection is working if the client operating system is Windows 7 Professional.

Is it possible? Am I doing something wrong?

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:26 AM
  • Well the article says it is fully supported:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/08/21/remote-desktop-connection-7-for-windows-7-windows-xp-windows-vista.aspx

So I guess it is either a bug or incompatibility issue with Printers.

MSFT?

PubForum.net Founder, TS Training in Europe! Love Microsoft &its people to bits!
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:21 AM
  • So why the printer redirection is working when using mstsc and not in the Activex?

In the article I didnt see information about using the activex from Windows 2008 R2.

Maybe Easy printer isn't supported with activex on windows 2008 server.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

In order to use the easy printer future on the RDS, there are some requirements that it’s essential to install.

1.       Clients are running Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 6.1 client.

2.       The .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1.

Please kindly refer to the follow article to figure out this issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/perfguru/archive/2008/06/25/terminal-server-easy-print.aspx

Please notice the section involves “on a Windows Server 2008-based server (that is acting as the client)”

If this issue continues, please help to confirm the following questions:

1.       What do you mean use ActiveX to redirect the printer on the server 2008, but the mstsc is fine on the windows 7 client?

2.       What’s the exact error message in the event log? Please let me know it word by word, thanks.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:20 AM
  • Hi, Erez,

How do you connect through ActiveX control? I guess you are using the legacy RDP ActiveX control interface to connect.

The new RDP client still supports the legacy RDP ActiveX interface (Win2003 style) for backward compatibility. However the legacy interface does not support EasyPrint. We recommend you to move to the new ActiveX interface (using CLSID:4eb89ff4-7f78-4a0f-8b8d-2bf02e94e4b2). You can find a sample web page in your Windows\Web\RDWeb\Pages\en-US\Desktops.aspx if you have installed the RDS Web Access role on WS08 R2 machine.

Monday, October 25, 2010 9:58 PM
  • I am using RDP ActiveX to connect to RDP server. Printer redirection is not happening with Windows 8.1 using RDP ActiveX.

Using MSTSC application printer redirection happens properly.

It works fine with all OS except Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 uses ActiveX 6.3.9600.

This happens with Windows 7 also when ActiveX is upgraded to 6.3.9600

Server is not installing Easy print when RDP ActiveX is used but works fine with MSTSC application.

I tired to use the interfaces, IMsRdpClient5, IMsRdpClient7, IMsRdpClient8 and IMsRdpClient9 but did not find any success.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Albin

Friday, June 6, 2014 4:45 PM