Error 0x80041001 when trying to enumerate Packages by WMI


  • Hello,

    I try to receive information about loaded packages in AppV Client (4.6.0) with wbemtest.

    I'm able to browse through the classes (from /root/microsoft/appvirt/client), I see the two interesting classes Application() and Package().

    Doubleclicking on each of the both classes shows me the different properties of this class, but clicking on the button <Instances> does not show me a list of all instances, but en error message 0x80041001 "WMI generic failure".

    On other PCs the queries work fine, but there are others where the error appear.

    I tried to repair WMI (restart Windows Management Instrumentation), deleted the AppV classes and reloaded them with mofcomp.

    I switched on verbose logging of WBEM, but the specific Log-files do not show relevant hints to solve the problem.

    I reinstalled the AppV Client, without any success.

    In the Application Log there is a warning message (in german):

    Application Virtualization Client konnte das Benutzerprfil für eine Systemsitzung nicht initialisieren (Rückgabecode 0FD00D14-00000003).

    There is no hint when I search for this specific error code "14-00000003".


    I urgently need a properly working method to silently enumerate loaded AppV applications on any machine!


    Anybode ideas?

    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:04 PM


  • It's me once again.... I think I found the answer.

    The following configuration option in the registry

    UserDataDirectory = <value>

    was set to <H:\...> on all failure PCs.

    When the error appears the sftlog.txt says: "Application Virtualization Client konnte das Benutzerprofil für eine Systemsitzung nicht initialisieren (Rückgabecode 0FD00D14-00000003)."

    It seams that the service sftlist (Application Virtualization Client) tries to resolve this entry when the list of packages is enumerated. This service runs as LocalSystem so there is no Drive H:\!

    When I change this Path to a local Path and restart the sftlist service, everything runs well!

    Generally this variable is set to %APPDATA% and I think this variable is not set for LocalSystem, but nevertheless it works!


    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, April 4, 2011 12:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:41 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 12:46 PM

All replies