Error 0x80041001 when trying to enumerate Packages by WMI RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I try to receive information about loaded packages in AppV Client (4.6.0) with wbemtest.

I'm able to browse through the classes (from /root/microsoft/appvirt/client), I see the two interesting classes Application() and Package().

Doubleclicking on each of the both classes shows me the different properties of this class, but clicking on the button <Instances> does not show me a list of all instances, but en error message 0x80041001 "WMI generic failure".

On other PCs the queries work fine, but there are others where the error appear.

I tried to repair WMI (restart Windows Management Instrumentation), deleted the AppV classes and reloaded them with mofcomp.

I switched on verbose logging of WBEM, but the specific Log-files do not show relevant hints to solve the problem.

I reinstalled the AppV Client, without any success.

In the Application Log there is a warning message (in german):

Application Virtualization Client konnte das Benutzerprfil für eine Systemsitzung nicht initialisieren (Rückgabecode 0FD00D14-00000003).

There is no hint when I search for this specific error code "14-00000003".

I urgently need a properly working method to silently enumerate loaded AppV applications on any machine!

Anybode ideas?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:04 PM

Answers

• It's me once again.... I think I found the answer.

The following configuration option in the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration]
    UserDataDirectory = <value>

was set to <H:\...> on all failure PCs.

When the error appears the sftlog.txt says: "Application Virtualization Client konnte das Benutzerprofil für eine Systemsitzung nicht initialisieren (Rückgabecode 0FD00D14-00000003)."

It seams that the service sftlist (Application Virtualization Client) tries to resolve this entry when the list of packages is enumerated. This service runs as LocalSystem so there is no Drive H:\!

When I change this Path to a local Path and restart the sftlist service, everything runs well!

Generally this variable is set to %APPDATA% and I think this variable is not set for LocalSystem, but nevertheless it works!

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, April 4, 2011 12:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:41 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Znack,

I do not having any problems in starting virtual applicatons by the AppV Client, but in enumerating all loaded or imported applications by WMI Queries.

In my case, there is one sample application loaded (and startable), but I can't get this information by wbemtest or vbscript. The responsible error is a "WMI generic failure".

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Hello,

have you tried repairing WMI?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm 

/Znack
    Friday, April 1, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hello Znack,

Yes, I also tried repairing the WMI (now again).

The error remains the same.

Friday, April 1, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Hi Znack,

Unfortunately I tried this too (without success).

I think we should open a call at Microsoft...

Monday, April 4, 2011 6:20 AM
  • It's me once again.... I think I found the answer.

The following configuration option in the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration]
    UserDataDirectory = <value>

was set to <H:\...> on all failure PCs.

When the error appears the sftlog.txt says: "Application Virtualization Client konnte das Benutzerprofil für eine Systemsitzung nicht initialisieren (Rückgabecode 0FD00D14-00000003)."

It seams that the service sftlist (Application Virtualization Client) tries to resolve this entry when the list of packages is enumerated. This service runs as LocalSystem so there is no Drive H:\!

When I change this Path to a local Path and restart the sftlist service, everything runs well!

Generally this variable is set to %APPDATA% and I think this variable is not set for LocalSystem, but nevertheless it works!

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, April 4, 2011 12:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:41 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 12:46 PM