WSUS sees Hyper-V Server 2019 as Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS is running on WS2019 and I have Hyper-V Server 2019 clients.  They are all detected as Windows 10.0.  Will this ever be fixed or is it something else that the Free product is not worthy of.

-=Chris

Monday, November 11, 2019 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

Some updates.
    In the WSUS database, the current Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 OS Version is 10.0.17763.652, which does not seem to have a description of the OS.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Progent.CT Tuesday, November 12, 2019 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:42 AM

All replies

• The codebase versioning of Server 2019 is similar  to Windows 10 which is why the versions come up as '10.x'. WSUS Automated Maintenance © has a Rename OS Descriptions Stream that will rename all of the client systems to their correct description (Windows 10 Pro 1709, Server 2019 Datacenter, etc), but other than that, you're left with SQL scripts that you'd have to find/create and run to fix this and make it nice.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Edited by AJTek.caMVP Monday, November 11, 2019 11:45 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Hi Chris,

According to your description, I also verified that the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 obtained in the Evaluation Center is reported as Windows (Version 10.0) in WSUS, compared to Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 reported as Windows Server 2012, which does look unusual.

In my test, after the Hyper-V Server 2019 client completed the report, it prompted need the relevant quality update of Windows Server 2019, which is consistent with our understanding. However, as for the problems displayed by the operating system, I have not yet found an explanation article from Microsoft.

I will continue to look for an explanation of this situation.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Some updates.
    In the WSUS database, the current Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 OS Version is 10.0.17763.652, which does not seem to have a description of the OS.

Regards,
    Yic

• Marked as answer by Progent.CT Tuesday, November 12, 2019 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Thanks!

-=Chris

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 5:01 PM