none
Domain user account is acting as "Built-In Administrator" account on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I have noticed that I am unable to launch built-in apps like the Store, Mail, Calendar, Calculator, etc., and the following message is displayed;

"This app can't open

<app name> can't be opened using the Built-In Administrator account.

Sign in with a different account and try again."

I am using a domain account (not a Built-In account) to which I had my Microsoft Account connected.  The local Administrator on this machine has been disabled.  I did disconnect my Microsoft Account from the domain account thinking if I re-added it, it may re-register or something, but now I am no longer able to add my Microsoft Account.

I have researched this issue and have tried all manner of troubleshooting suggestions, including modifying local policies and the registry.  I am looking for any and all suggestions.  Please let me know what information would be helpful for you to know.  Thank you.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:27 PM

Answers

• I also just added our first Windows 10 workstation to the domain and the computer seems to incorrectly indicate that I'm using the built-in admin account when logged in as a regular domain user.

I'm unable to access folders that would require admin rights or install programs, so I think it's more an issue with Windows spewing an error message that doesn't really apply to the situation at hand.

I believe the GPO/Security Policy change in the article below should get this resolved.

http://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2015/07/windows-10-edge-opened-builtin-administrator-account/

• Marked as answer by Mathariman Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:01 PM

All replies

• I also just added our first Windows 10 workstation to the domain and the computer seems to incorrectly indicate that I'm using the built-in admin account when logged in as a regular domain user.

I'm unable to access folders that would require admin rights or install programs, so I think it's more an issue with Windows spewing an error message that doesn't really apply to the situation at hand.

I believe the GPO/Security Policy change in the article below should get this resolved.

http://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2015/07/windows-10-edge-opened-builtin-administrator-account/

• Marked as answer by Mathariman Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:01 PM
  • I am having same issue.  All domain users receive the same "This app cant open using Built-in admin account".  Have tried the referenced fix BUT NOT WORKING. Windows 10 Enterprise v1607 (14393.447).  HELP.  
    Monday, December 5, 2016 8:25 PM
  • I had this issue as well, however, logging in as an administrator on my domain profile, i went to UAC settings and saw that it was already set to Never Notify.

I moved the slider so that "Okay" was no longer grayed out and then placed the slider back to Never Notify.

I hit Okay, Rebooted, logged in with my standard domain account and the problem went away. 

When modifying UAC settings, it's important to remember that since this isn't some simple Group Policy or User Privilege change, where you can just log out and back in for it to take effect, you need to actually REBOOT your machine for the changes to take effect.

Hope my findings help you guys out!

• Edited by Andrewgram Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:01 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:00 PM