none
Deploy Task Sequence Again when adding new driver package RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys 

I have created a driver package and updated it to the distribution point at the same time with success.

Added the driver package to an exisiting task sequence and added my wmi query for model "HP Elite" for example

Do I need to deploy the task sequence again? because i have added another driver to the task sequence?

• Edited by slee85 Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:25 AM spelling
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my experience, we don't need to re-distribute the changed Task Sequence, the client will automatically get the changed task sequence a certain time later, by default 60 min later. 

Task Sequences and everything in them are part of the machine policy delivered to targeted systems. If we make a change to a TS, then the system needs to update its machine policy but this will automatically happen by itself eventually.

By the way, if we make a change to the source files or any content referenced in the task sequence, those need to be redistributed manually. The distribute content option on right click of task sequence is just a simple way to distribute all referenced content within the TS -- it does not distribute the TS in any way.

However, if you would like to be SURE that you are executing the latest changes when pxe booting for example, you can add a version number to the name of the task sequence, that way, if you made changes to Deploy Windows 7 X64 v1.0, increment the version number by one and you should see Deploy Windows 7 X64 v1.1 when you pxe boot. This ensures that your clients have the latest policies for this deployment (sometimes there's a delay depending on hierarchy). 

Here is a similar thread for your reference:

Do I have to deploy every time?

Hope it helps. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by slee85 Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the previous deployment failed to install driver during OS deployment, yes you need to run the deployment again and make sure the OS deployment completed with driver installation.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my experience, we don't need to re-distribute the changed Task Sequence, the client will automatically get the changed task sequence a certain time later, by default 60 min later. 

Task Sequences and everything in them are part of the machine policy delivered to targeted systems. If we make a change to a TS, then the system needs to update its machine policy but this will automatically happen by itself eventually.

By the way, if we make a change to the source files or any content referenced in the task sequence, those need to be redistributed manually. The distribute content option on right click of task sequence is just a simple way to distribute all referenced content within the TS -- it does not distribute the TS in any way.

However, if you would like to be SURE that you are executing the latest changes when pxe booting for example, you can add a version number to the name of the task sequence, that way, if you made changes to Deploy Windows 7 X64 v1.0, increment the version number by one and you should see Deploy Windows 7 X64 v1.1 when you pxe boot. This ensures that your clients have the latest policies for this deployment (sometimes there's a delay depending on hierarchy). 

Here is a similar thread for your reference:

Do I have to deploy every time?

Hope it helps. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by slee85 Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:08 AM