none
DPM backup to tape slow...very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple protection groups that back up to LTO4 tape.  All from the same storage.  Exchange can backup up 300 GB (single stg group)  in approx 40 minutes, yet backing up our file server with millions of small files (over 10 million)  is taking forever (protection group 4.9 TB in size).  I've backed up 2 TB in 14 hours.  What is the issue?  These are all backing up to the same LTO-4 drive over the same fiber connection.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Backing up millions of small files will always take much much.. did I say much longer than backing up one large file of equal size.  This is not a DPM bottleneck, it's more of a Windows architecural issue.  

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Backing up millions of small files will always take much much.. did I say much longer than backing up one large file of equal size.  This is not a DPM bottleneck, it's more of a Windows architecural issue.  

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:31 PM
  • I have a 1.5 TB protection group (2 file shares on same server) that have 15+ million files and it takes 2-3 days to go to tape and 80-100 hours to perform a consistency check.  DPM disks are Raid 5 8+1 SATA II 7.2K RPM drives in a EMC AX4 with 4GB Fiber.  You're not alone, this is extremely painful when DPM 'loses' a tape drive and doesn't backup to tape on schedule or I have to reboot the file server cluster and the protection group becomes inconsistent... no good MS.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:17 AM