I need some Backup and Recovery advice. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm looking for some advice about the best way to go about backing up my environment. This is for a single standalone primary site.

e.g

I currently use the Backup Site Maintenance task to backup my Site Server and DB. But as you are probably aware this doesn't take care of my Content Library or package source locations. Instead of having multiple package source locations I want to put all of the content under one root folder called PackageSources. This will include multiple folders for the packages etc.  

What I'm trying to do is devise a simple way for backing up everything.

This was one plan.

1. Create a full bare metal backup of my Site Server every Monday. (Network Location) 

2. Create a daily differential backup. (Network Location)

[This could be a time consuming way of doing things. But if something happened I could just restore from the last full backup and daily differential]

Another way.

1. Create an full bare metal backup of my Site Server every Monday. (Network Location)

2. Run a daily SCCM Backup Task to backup the Site Server and DB. (Network Location)

3. Run a daily scheduled file system backup that captures my Content Library and a folder called PackageSources that has all of my packages inside. (Network Location)

[I was thinking that this might be a bit more flexible. If something happened to the Host I could easily restore it from the last full backup and then use the others. Or if something happened to the Site Server or DB I could use the SCCM Backup. Finally if something happened where I needed to restore the content to it's original location I could use my daily content backup]

I'm trying to makes things as simple as can be so I know I've got my data covered.

Thanks

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:51 PM

Answers

• Given the fact that you can restore a site from just the DB backup I prefer using a SQL maintenance plan.

As part of this plan I also trigger the content backup. Overall this is what it looks like:

Advantages:
    - Compression (this may allow you to keep more historical backups)
    - Ability to include additional databases (SSRS, SUP ...)

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, November 11, 2013 6:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by midi25 Monday, November 11, 2013 10:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by midi25 Monday, November 11, 2013 10:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:29 AM

All replies