Windows SteadyState slow STARTUP RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded and installed Windows Steadystate.

I have not any configuration to it, yet there is considerable slowdown in startup and booting. I am using Windows XP Professional SP2.

From help articles I understand tat installing this tool switches off fast users switch? And if so, how can I switch it on. Is this an issue with other users too? and how can this issue be resolved. Will be happy to hear from you all.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Slow Boot

------------

For the slowdown issue after installation of Steadystate, i am afraid it is a known issue. If so, you can refer to this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1792708&SiteID=69

If it is not a known issue as mentioned, we can isolate the issue by doing so:

1. clean boot to the system. For how to do a clean boot, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

2. If problem still exists after a clean boot, still clean boot to system to uninstall steadystate to test out and then reinstall the tool.

3. Boot to the normal mode.

Fast User Switch

--------------------

Fast User Switching is not compatible with SteadyState, and thus we disable it when SteadyState is installed.  If you enable this manually, you will run into problems later that will be difficult to diagnose and fix.  We strongly recommend against turning on FUS.

Monday, July 2, 2007 12:13 PM
  •  zemtech wrote:

Thanks Sammy Yu, It vas very presise and good. will try it all now and reply again later. I have another issue, if its ok, will be very pleased to know your advise.

I have Downloaded and installed Windows Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset.It all went well.But there was not any Icons on the desk to for this tool.On the all programme, this programme is there but only the the help file was available. I should expect Crash Analizer Wizard. File Restorer and ERD Commander programmes to be available there. It has to be there according to the help manual (MSDaRT.CFM) of this programme.

I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 on my computer Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM.

I have posted this on MS community-Windows XP,News groop, havent received any resposce so far. If its ok may please reply.

Hi,

The downloaded version is only an evaluation which only contains the erd50.iso file.So it is expected that the other tools such as Crash Analyzer Wizard and File Restore are not included, not to mention their shortcuts after installation.    

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Slow Boot

------------

For the slowdown issue after installation of Steadystate, i am afraid it is a known issue. If so, you can refer to this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1792708&SiteID=69

If it is not a known issue as mentioned, we can isolate the issue by doing so:

1. clean boot to the system. For how to do a clean boot, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

2. If problem still exists after a clean boot, still clean boot to system to uninstall steadystate to test out and then reinstall the tool.

3. Boot to the normal mode.

Fast User Switch

--------------------

Fast User Switching is not compatible with SteadyState, and thus we disable it when SteadyState is installed.  If you enable this manually, you will run into problems later that will be difficult to diagnose and fix.  We strongly recommend against turning on FUS.

Monday, July 2, 2007 12:13 PM
  •  Thanks Sammy Yu, It vas very presise and good. will try it all now and reply again later. I have another issue, if its ok, will be very pleased to know your advise.

I have Downloaded and installed Windows Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset.It all went well.But there was not any Icons on the desk to for this tool.On the all programme, this programme is there but only the the help file was available. I should expect Crash Analizer Wizard. File Restorer and ERD Commander programmes to be available there. It has to be there according to the help manual (MSDaRT.CFM) of this programme.

I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 on my computer Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM.

I have posted this on MS community-Windows XP,News groop, havent received any resposce so far. If its ok may please reply.

Monday, July 2, 2007 3:58 PM
  • I've spent a lot of time with SteadyState already... I can tell you that there is a workaround for the slow boot... I'm testing the software for mass deployment on my laptop, and it boots in 29 seconds, with no slow downs on windows load. I think that I would get in deep trouble if I posted it, so I won't... but I have posted it in other forums... bare in mind though, it's a pain to do if you plan on ever shutting off the service, because you can hose your system if you don't do certain things in a specific order.

-Chris.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 5:17 PM
  •  zemtech wrote:

Thanks Sammy Yu, It vas very presise and good. will try it all now and reply again later. I have another issue, if its ok, will be very pleased to know your advise.

Hi,

The downloaded version is only an evaluation which only contains the erd50.iso file.So it is expected that the other tools such as Crash Analyzer Wizard and File Restore are not included, not to mention their shortcuts after installation.    

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 12:05 PM
  • Thanks Sammy Yo,

I tried out your suggestion and seen some improvement in Starting speed. But still I think it is still slow and is caused by some configurations the StadyState may have done to my system when it was installed. As I said first I have removerd it from my computer.With this issue, Another Issued has started,

The Issue is after starting and the desktop is fully populated, A full window appears. System32 titled probably Windows Explorer Wondow. It Askes that these are system files and hidden for safty. Dow you want to open?

I do not know why this is appearing every time I start the Computer and have no idea on how to stopp it.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, currently I am not sure what’s the exact cause. But we can try a clean boot first to see if the problem continues. For how to perform a clean boot, please see : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us.

If the problem still exists after a clean boot, I would like to collect more information  for further research:

1.       What is the user account that encountered the problem? How about other user or a new created user?

2.       If possible, could you send me a screenshot of the phenomenon via email (v-samyu@online.microsoft.com with no online)

3.       Please perform the following steps to collect the MPS Report(Setup Version).

a.       The setup version MPS tool can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspxFamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

b.      The log is written to a cab file under: %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab. Please send the cab file via email.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 12:34 PM
  •  SlimChaney wrote:
    I've spent a lot of time with SteadyState already... I can tell you that there is a workaround for the slow boot... I'm testing the software for mass deployment on my laptop, and it boots in 29 seconds, with no slow downs on windows load. I think that I would get in deep trouble if I posted it, so I won't... but I have posted it in other forums... bare in mind though, it's a pain to do if you plan on ever shutting off the service, because you can hose your system if you don't do certain things in a specific order.

-Chris.

What's the workaround?  Maybe we can give it the official seal of approval Smile  If it involves disabling sctsvc, though, it's definitely not a good idea.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:41 PM
  • Hasn't anybody figured out how to set up SteadyState without slowing down the system? What get's me irritated is that, this thing is supposed to be running only on shutdown or reboot. Why would is it slowing down my system then? I could make do with the slow bootup or shutdown, but slowing down my system while i'm using it makes it pretty much not worth the trouble to have. It's having the same effect as the malwares it's supposed to keep me away from.

Uninstalled SteadyState, and my machine is almost back up to par. May need to do a clean install to get my pc running as smooth as before.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

When installing programs, services, files and registry keys will be added to the system. In my opinion, it will always slowing down the system to some extent. To find what program slowed down the system, we can perform a Clean Boot, just as Sammy said.

For your information, a beta version of SteadyState 2.5 has been released. It has fixed the slow startup issue. You can try it if you have interest:

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Beta

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4de91d3a-69f4-4d7b-94b1-c69b8be029f4&DisplayLang=en

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Beta Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D173452A-CE26-4F26-9C30-982F705F84D2&displaylang=en

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Beta Readme File

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/2/F/E2F23589-E8E1-404F-9DAB-77F1CAE24153/ReadmeBeta.txt

Regards,

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:30 AM