none
Removing old organization after doing a inter-forest mail migration.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi: We've finished using Quest Migration Manager for Exchange to migrate all of our users' mailboxes from the Source Forest Exchange 2003 environment to Linked mailboxes in the Target Forest Exchange 2007 environment. Now that this is complete, I'm wondering how to go about decommissioning the Source Exchange environment without breaking anything. Users still Login to the Source Forest Active directory and get their mail via the Linked mailboxes in the Target Forest (AD Accounts are disabled in the Target Forest). I need to get rid of the old Source Forest Exchange environment. The Exchange Tabs on the User Accounts still show the old Source Mailbox information so I need to remove Exchange 2003 without affecting the Linked mailbox setup. Can you direct me to documentation about this or what do you suggest?
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

A linked mailbox is one that is associated with an external account, such as one located in a different Active Directory forest from the one in which you deployed Exchange. As mailboxes must be associated with accounts that are in the same forest as Exchange and linked mailboxes involve accounts in different forests, when you create a linked mailbox,
    Exchange creates a disabled user account in the local forest that is used as a stand-in for the foreign account.

So, what do you mean “We've finished using Quest Migration Manager for Exchange to migrate all of our users' mailboxes from the Source Forest Exchange 2003 environment to Linked mailboxes in the Target Forest Exchange 2007 environment.” Who is resource forest and who is target forest for linked mailbox?

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 31, 2013 10:17 AM
  • Thanks for the Reply....As far as Exchange is concerned, I believe that our Target domain would be considered the Resource domain because it contains the Linked Mailboxes. We have an Exchange 2003 organization in our Source Forest which I'd like to decommission now since all of our mailboxes now all reside in our Target Forest. I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't negatively affect when I remove the Exchange Attributes from the source Forest User Account objects, since the Source Forest User Accounts will still be used to access the Linked mailboxes located in the Target Resource Forest.
    Friday, May 31, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for the Reply....As far as Exchange is concerned, I believe that our Target domain would be considered the Resource domain because it contains the Linked Mailboxes. We have an Exchange 2003 organization in our Source Forest which I'd like to decommission now since all of our mailboxes now all reside in our Target Forest. I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't negatively affect when I remove the Exchange Attributes from the source Forest User Account objects, since the Source Forest User Accounts will still be used to access the Linked mailboxes located in the Target Resource Forest.
    Friday, May 31, 2013 3:05 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 3:06 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 3:10 PM