Some Apps Requiring Admin to be Logged in to Install RRS feed

• Question

• I have a domain account named kenm-adm that is a member of a domain group called Workstation_Admins.  The Workstations_Admins group is a member of the administrators group on my computer.  I also have a domain account named kenm that is NOT a member of the administrators group on my computer or a member of any domain group.

For normal usage, I am logged into my Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 PC using my low-level account, kenm.  When I need to install an application, I right-click the application and select Run as administrator from the context menu.  When I do that, windows prompts for administrator credentials, and I use the kenm-adm user and password.  This method works to install programs 98% of the time.

I have 2 applications that fail to install when using this method.  For those two programs, the only way I can install them is by logging in as kenm-adm AND right-clicking the installer and selecting Run as administrator.  What UAC / security settings do I need to adjust so that I can install this application with a non-admin logged in by supplying admin credentials when prompted?

Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, December 21, 2012 2:46 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 2:46 AM

All replies

• Perhaps the application(s) vendor(s) can help.

As the name of trouble making applications is unknown, I recommend to restructure appication, more on this in http://www.itninja.com/

Rgds

Milos

• Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Friday, December 7, 2012 8:46 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Hi Leo
    I haven't made any progress on this issue. 
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

Try to temporary disable security program, and turn off UAC to see if the same issue occurs.

If the issue persists, try to modify the UAC on Local Security Policy for test:

1 Login with Administrator

2 Type in secpol.msc into the Start menu search box and hit enter

3 browse down to Local Policies \ Security Options\ User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode” and double-click on it.

4 Change the setting to “Elevate without prompting”.

Furthermore, you can try to set the app to “Run this program as an administrator” for test.

right click the app -> Properties -> Compatibility page, check the “Run this program as an administrator” checkbox

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

Any update? If you tried my suggestion, please let me konw if it works.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, December 21, 2012 2:46 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 2:46 AM