If the header or footer height is set in the report, Word cannot support this setting. Does that mean header or footer printing is not supported? RRS feed

• Question

• https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd283105%28v=sql.105%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Page Headers and Footers

Page headers and footers are rendered as header and footer regions in Word. If a report page number or an expression that indicates the total number of report pages appears in the page header or footer, they are translated to a Word field so that the accurate page number is displayed in the rendered report. If the header or footer height is set in the report, Word cannot support this setting. The PrintOnFirstPage property can under some circumstances specify whether text in a page header page footer prints on the first page of a report. If the rendered report has multiple pages and each page contains only a single section, then you can set PrintOnFirstPage to False and the text is suppressed on the first page; otherwise, the text prints regardless of the value of the PrintOnFirstPage property.

As per MICROSOFT article,If we add headers and footers to the SSRS report (which is by setting,  the header or footer height in the report), Word cannot support this setting?

Does that mean header or footer printing is not supported?

Whenever we try printing it doesn't show headers and footers .I have also observed that in page setup header and footer setting value gets set to 0.

When we add the setting value manually it shows up but adds extra spaces and 1-2 page report stretches to 3-4 pages.

Is this a limitation of SSRS 2008 R2 ?

How can this be overcome?

• Edited by MLTC Monday, July 25, 2016 6:54 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2016 6:53 PM

Answers

• Thanks the only way I see solution to this problem is to decrease the size of objects used in my ssrs report such that the page height becomes <=8.5 .

I may need to decrease the text boxes and fonts and tablix size

• Edited by MLTC Monday, August 1, 2016 1:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Yuliana Gu Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 8, 2016 3:52 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi MLTC,

As mentioned in MICROSOFT article, the height setting for report header and footer will be ignored in word export. That is to say the page header or footer printing is supported in word document, while displays in a static size. Also, the complex evaluation expression will be left out. If a page footer or page header contains an expression that evaluates to different values on different pages of a report, all report pages will display the same value as the first page.

The issue that the report pages sometimes stretch to more due to the limitation of word render. This render supports only logical page breaks. When export a report to word format, it will repaginate the entire report again based on the page size. To avoid this  situation, you can adjust the PageSize to in report properties, especially the Height of report, set it to a larger value to fit the page size of word.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana Gu

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:45 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to print the word document in the letter size which is 11 inch width and Height 8.5 inches .

I have many objects in the report which might not meet the height =8.5 inches. I.e my report height gets increased by default when I export the report I want to print in landscape and letter size.

Right now I am unable to accommodate all the objects to meet the height length 

• Edited by MLTC Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:46 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Hi MLTC,

According to your description, you want the report to show in a word with page size is 11 inch width and Height 8.5 inches so that the content can display in landscape, right?

However, the word will repaginate the entire report to fit the size of word document. The format after exporting is limited by the size of word document. The horizontal content will be clipped if it exceed the width of word. The width setting of report will be ignored when export to word format. So, your requirement cannot be achieved currently.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana gu

Monday, August 1, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Thanks the only way I see solution to this problem is to decrease the size of objects used in my ssrs report such that the page height becomes <=8.5 .

I may need to decrease the text boxes and fonts and tablix size

• Edited by MLTC Monday, August 1, 2016 1:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Yuliana Gu Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 8, 2016 3:52 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 1:37 AM