none
RE-Creating PWA site with a previously used name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created content database MyPWA_Content, PWA site with a name MyPWA and the database names as MyPWA_Published, MyPWA_Draft, MyPWA_Archive and MyPWA_Reporting.

I realized that my settings were not correct, I deleted the Site collection named MyPWA, and the Content Database MyPWA_Content it was connected to. I also deleted the databases in the database server.

I re-created the content database with the same name MyPWA_Content.

However, when I try to re-create with the same name MyPWA and database names in MyPWA_Content database, I am getting the following errors

"The Project Web App Site path is invalid. Correct path and try again"

"The database specified is already used by another project server. Enter a different server or database name and try again."

Why am I getting those error even though I had deleted the previous site collection and Databases before I tried to re-create the site under same name?

Thanks!

Friday, September 10, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I hope you have followed the steps below.

If you want to delete a PWA: Open Sharepoint central admin --> SSP --> Project Web Access Sites --> Delete the PWA instance.

If you delete the site collection & databases directly, it will become an Orphan entry in your configuration database. It will allow you create again on the same name. I am giving two easy suggestions below.                                                                                                                                                                           

1. Create the PWA & databases on new name (or) 2. Detach from the current configuration database & create everything with new configuration database.

Third Method: (Complicated)

Removing the PWA Orphan entry in configuration database using "stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id"

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Sriram, Michael,

The solution provided did not work for me. Perhaps because I had done too much damage at that point.

I have decided to go back to my old VM snapshot and restart the process. It has been a good learning experience though.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I hope you have followed the steps below.

If you want to delete a PWA: Open Sharepoint central admin --> SSP --> Project Web Access Sites --> Delete the PWA instance.

If you delete the site collection & databases directly, it will become an Orphan entry in your configuration database. It will allow you create again on the same name. I am giving two easy suggestions below.                                                                                                                                                                           

1. Create the PWA & databases on new name (or) 2. Detach from the current configuration database & create everything with new configuration database.

Third Method: (Complicated)

Removing the PWA Orphan entry in configuration database using "stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id"

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Hello rj squirrel

Wow!  I just recently ran into the same problem.  I was hoping to recover my old workspaces.  The PWA is a new instance and all the workspaces where empty, so the way I fixed it may not be what you need.

I hope you found a way in using STSASM, to resync the workspace.   The workspace has somehow become orphan and I have not found way to fix this.  If you find it, I hope you publish it for everyone else

However, I found a quasis fix for me, that you may be able to use.  I did the following:

1) Server Settings/ Project Workspaces

2) Select on Site Address and click on "Edit Site Address"

3) select "Remove the URL for teh SharePoint Site" and click OK

4) Once workspace is removed, then click "Create Site" and recreate the workspace.

Maybe this can work for you.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Sriram, Michael,

The solution provided did not work for me. Perhaps because I had done too much damage at that point.

I have decided to go back to my old VM snapshot and restart the process. It has been a good learning experience though.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:10 PM