Windows XP - Constant hard disk activity issue RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I observed that all my four hard disks installed in my XP Pro machine show a % idle time physical disk counter between 50-60% all the time, even when the PC is fully idle. I checked the processes running in the background and I can't find nothing causing this constant disk activity.

When I run XP in safe mode the counter is normal (average 99,60%). I also observed that in normal mode, when I connect a USB stick, the counter is normal (99,5%). After disconnecting the stick drops again to 50-60%.

I'm getting the information from perfmon.msc and the counter is "Physical Disk" -> "% idle time".

I also observed that the values of the S.M.A.R.T. attributes 241 & 242 (Total LBA Written & Total LBA Read respectively) from the two installed Seagate disks are growing constantly.

I'm sure that this is not a hardware problem because in the same PC I have an installation of Windows 7 and when I'm booting to win7 everything is O.K.

How can I find what is causing this disk activity? I'll be very grateful if anyone can help me.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:37 PM

Answers

• Check the processes in task manager. Look for process that uses maximum memory, the same app can be causing issue.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:48 PM

All replies

• Check the processes in task manager. Look for process that uses maximum memory, the same app can be causing issue.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:48 PM
  • I already did that with no result. I also used SysInternals Process Monitor, with no success.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:19 PM