none
Windows 2012 R2 server hung due to unknown DC issues

Question

• We are experiencing a very odd issue with the environment below:

2 x Windows 2003 DC servers, bunch of mixed Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012 R2 member servers in the domain. 

Recently users report they cannot RDP to those Windows 2012 R2 servers. Investigation found RDP session hung on "Wait for Local Session Manager". Tried to access the servers via console, press Ctrl-Alt-Del only shows a blank blue screen with Win 2012 R2 at the bottom, appears hung. 

Upon some Googling it appears the issue could be DC related. As a try, I rebooted both DCs subsequently. After that I reboot one of the Win 2012 R2 server. To my amazement, the server came back normally and users were able to RDP to it. I rebooted the rest Win 2012R2 servers and they all became working after the reboot. So somehow the DC reboot fixed issue.

However, a week late, user reported RDP issue again, but this time only with selected Win 2012R2 servers. Some were working, some were not. I did the same thing, rebooted both DC. And the issue seems die down.

Ran DCdiag on both DCs return no errors, necessary firewall ports are all open... I reviewed event logs on the DCs and the Win2012R2 servers. Nothing seem obvious... 

Just wondering if anyone had faced similar issue before?

One thing to add here. The particular domain (say Domain A) has a forest trust with another domain (Domain B), which recently had a bad DC outage. Two of the DCs in that domain (B) went offline for a few hours. The DCs were eventually restarted and all services restored. But somehow since then we started to have this odd issue with Win 2012 R2 servers in domain A... I have tested network connectivities between the Domain A DCs and Domain B DCs. They are all working fine.
    • Edited by aha_tom Friday, April 28, 2017 5:11 AM add more details
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I had this issue on our RDP Servers and I identified that users had a GPO that use to copy file from a shared folder or DFS share or File Server, and Microsoft has a patch for this kind of scenarios causing RDP/Citrix login issues.

This issue occurs because of a deadlock between Credential Manager and the Redirector (RDR) and Data Protection API (DPAPI).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3132080/the-logon-process-hangs-at-the-welcome-screen-or-the-please-wait-for-the-user-profile-service-error-message-window

apply this patch on one of the server and in your test environment to validate.

Regards, Jim MSCS - MCP Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Thanks Jimmy. However, upon checking all the Win 2012 R2 servers already got the update installed. So this was not the cause... 

Friday, April 28, 2017 5:07 AM
  • Hi,
    Are there any third party applications installed on the server? If yes, we could have a try to turn off them temperaorly and see if it helps.
    In addition,in my experience, it could be a profile issue sometime, in order to test it, you could have a try to log in with another account and see if the same behaivor happens again.

Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, April 30, 2017 6:02 AM