Windows 7 claims the computer is running slow when it's running perfectly. RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I start screen capturing software to perform a video capture of some work I'm doing in a virtual machine, Windows 7 (Erroneously) pops up and claims that "Windows has detected that your computer's performance is slow".  The computer is working just fine when this occurs.  Occasionally it will warn about memory capacity has exceeded and recommend I disable Aero.  Sometimes it just automatically disables the aero theme without warning.

I decided to run Resources Monitor to see if some how I was consuming all 6 gigs of my memory, but that is not the case.  I have around 2.5 gigs of available memory when this occurs.  The computer is totally responsive with no hickups what so ever when this comes up.  The CPU is sitting at about 50-60%.

Something interesting that I did observe, though, is that while running the capturing software, the DWM process from Desktop Window Manager sporatically jumps around.  Before the capture, it's sitting at 46MB.  When the capturing begins, it jumps up to levels in excess of 200MB, up to about 300MB at most.  I feel that this may be causing the Theme to revert to basic, however, I'm not so sure of if it's the reason for the popup about performance issues.

I've tried 3 different applications to perform captures: Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, and CamStudio.  Captivate and Camtasia seem to experience the issue much worse than CamStudio, however I still see that dwm is jumping around in memory consumption.  This may be something all capturing softwares do, but could also be why I'm noticing issues with Aero disabling, but it shouldn't matter for the other issue I don't think.

I've been searching all over the place for a solution to this issue.  It seems there have been a few reports, but no one has a solution.

Is there anyway to at least turn off these warnings?  I'm trying to create a video how-to, but these pop ups and wild theme changes are complicating the process.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 with all updates.  No antivirus software.  Only background software is Core Temp for temperature monitoring and ATI Control Center.

Core 2 Duo e6700 @ 3.3ghz

6gb DDR2-1200

ATI HD4850

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:04 AM

Answers

• Have you enabled memory remap in BIOS?

What is the model of your motherboard? If it enabling memory remap does not help, please try to upgrade your BIOS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 6, 2010 5:33 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:36 AM

All replies

• I don't seem to experience this with only 4 gigs.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Have you enabled memory remap in BIOS?

What is the model of your motherboard? If it enabling memory remap does not help, please try to upgrade your BIOS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 6, 2010 5:33 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Prior versions of Adobe products are not supported for Windows 7. See this support article and links to known issues.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/508/cpsid_50853.html

Check for compatibility and updates for your products.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:43 PM