none
MAK, Lang, apps problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got 3 problems.

1. The MAK license diden't successfully activate itself.

2. The keyboard language is wrong, its english and needs to be in swedish, atm im trying to creata a new custom wim.

-I'v tried changing it in customsettings by : UserLocale=sv-SE

3. The applications that we previously had to our old wim does not get installed on my new custom wim.

-Applications is a step in the task seq. I'v also tried to add
    [GuiRunOnce]
        "cscript.exe C:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start"
        "cscript.exe D:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start"
        "cscript.exe E:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start"
        "cscript.exe F:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf /start"

in a sysprep file, but the wierd thing is that I copied the sysprep file that we had in our 32x bit folder to my new 64 bit, but I don't think this is working. How can I create one for the 64x bit?

Am i supposed to execute sysprep when creating an capture or not?

Best regards a new itsupport guy.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:08 PM

Answers

• 1. MAK keys always need to be activated manually, you can trigger this automatically by adding a "Run Command Line" step with the following command: slmgr.vbs /ato

This will activate your MAK key with Microsoft.

Possibly you need to set the working directory to C:\Windows\System32

2. Your keyboard settings are not defined by UserLocale but by KeyboardLocale, next your keyboard setting will not be captured during a sysprep and capture, since sysprep causes the machine to be 'generalized' and then all of these specific settings will be gone.

So put the KeyboardLocale in your customsettings.ini, and then depending on your configuration this value will be updated with the unattend.xml during any deployment you do with MDT

3. Applications not installing, is really an application issue not a OS issue. My trick/suggestion is especially with new applications to first try to install applications silenty from a command prompt, to discover the unattended / silent switch and also to experience if this causes any issues. This way you'll save time, because it would be quite crazy to perform a full deployment, just to test the installation of one particular application.. -right?

And of course you need to import applications in the deployment share, and if you are not doing that at least verify the path to an application if it is located somewhere else, that it is a valid UNC path, which the MDT service account you are using can access.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:44 PM

All replies

• 1. MAK keys always need to be activated manually, you can trigger this automatically by adding a "Run Command Line" step with the following command: slmgr.vbs /ato

This will activate your MAK key with Microsoft.

Possibly you need to set the working directory to C:\Windows\System32

2. Your keyboard settings are not defined by UserLocale but by KeyboardLocale, next your keyboard setting will not be captured during a sysprep and capture, since sysprep causes the machine to be 'generalized' and then all of these specific settings will be gone.

So put the KeyboardLocale in your customsettings.ini, and then depending on your configuration this value will be updated with the unattend.xml during any deployment you do with MDT

3. Applications not installing, is really an application issue not a OS issue. My trick/suggestion is especially with new applications to first try to install applications silenty from a command prompt, to discover the unattended / silent switch and also to experience if this causes any issues. This way you'll save time, because it would be quite crazy to perform a full deployment, just to test the installation of one particular application.. -right?

And of course you need to import applications in the deployment share, and if you are not doing that at least verify the path to an application if it is located somewhere else, that it is a valid UNC path, which the MDT service account you are using can access.

Cheers!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:44 PM
  • 1. Our command line in activate client is : cscript.exe c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxx.....

start in: c:\windows\system32

Our command line in activate machine is :

cscript.exe c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

this has worked before. Do the customsetting file have to be in the control folder or in our control folder for the specific win7x64? Im going to make a copy now and place it in the specific folder.

2. Forgot to mention that I have these lines:

KeyboardLocale=041d:0000041d
    KeyboardLocalePE=041d:0000041d

Is there a way to change the machine standard keyboard lang after an installation?So everyone that logs in get swedish keyboard?

3. I havent changed the commands that worked for the old wim, Now I installed our programs into the wim.

Im currently going to try updating the images.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:43 AM
  • The customsettings.ini is no rules file which needs to be embedded with your operating system image. The customsettings.ini is a configuration file which MDT uses for certain scripts like ZTIGather.wsf (which you can find in the scripts folder) to retrieve certain specific settings for example the UserLocale, KeyboardLocale, TimeZoneName, etc. these settings will then override the current specified values of your unattend.xml which you can find in the Control\TSID folder. Each task sequence has a folder under the control folder of your deployment share, which hold 2 files:

1. TS.xml which is the actual task sequence, based from the client.xml template or any other task sequence template
    2. Unattend.xml which holds all the specific values you have provided, plus some default configuration settings to be able to deploy the machine automatically.

Basically MDT is a wrapper around OS deployment, which uses the Unattend.xml, Customsettings.ini and TS.xml as input for your deployment. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Proposed as answer by Robbie Meng Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:44 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

The unattend now has </SetupUILanguage> <InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale> <SystemLocale>sv</SystemLocale> <UILanguage>sv</UILanguage> <UserLocale>sv</UserLocale>

I changed that manually, I dont know if it will work.

Edit: do I have to update the deployment image after customizing the custom setting and also in install images? The language is still english.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

That will not work, because a locale and regional value always exist ot of the following: nl-NL, en-US, de-DE. fr-FR

putting in only SV is not correct, I don't know the exact value but if SV stands for Sweden, then perhaps the value needs to be: sv-SV

Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Hi, your fast 1+.

Yes it is sv-SE, im going to try now.

The license dident follow but thats not a huge problem.

Do you perhaps know why I need to do this everytime I reinstall a computer with my pxe?:

diskpart

select disk 0

clean

and then the installation runs otherwise there is a environment error.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:21 AM
  • Basically a format and partition action is present in your task sequence which does this for you, every time you run a deployment.

However MDT has a built in mechanism to check if any previous deployments where found. MDT looks on the target disk for the following folder: X:\MININT where X represents the drive letter of the OS disk.

And what you are doing, by performing a diskpart, is basically removing this folder.

Hope this clarify's for you how it is working.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

Still no success on the sv-se part. Do I have to update the image everytime I change the custom files?

Is there a way to avoid removing the folder everytime, I can't remember doing it before?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Could you please post your customsettings.ini and bdd.log from a test deployment you did?

Make sure that any information you don't want to be displayed, is left out of the files!

Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=NO
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=xxxxx
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=IMM.INTRA
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    DomainAdminDomain=IMM.INTRA
    DomainAdmin=xxxxxxxx
    DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxxx
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipComputerName=NO
    ComputerName=
    SkipPackageDisplay=NO
    SkipLocationSelection=YES
    UILanguage=sv-SE
    UserLocale=sv-SE
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZone=110
    TimeZoneName=W. Europe Standard Time
    SkipApplications=NO
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipBitLockerDetails=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    CaptureGroups=NO
    Home_page=http://www.ki.se/imm
    SkipBuild=NO
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    InputLocale=0409:00000409
    WSUSServer=http://optimus

FinishAction=REBOOT

This is our customsettings in the control folder, where do I find the bdd log?

I found the bdd file, is there any sensitive data there?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Where to find the right MDT logs

To retrieve the BDD.log from a running deployment automatically, please add the following line to your customsettings.ini:

SLShareDynamicLogging=%DeployRoot%\Logs\%COMPUTERNAME%

This way, each deployment you do will copy the logfile back to your deploymentshare, this way you can easily look at the logging, which should give you at least any idea how stuff works, how customsettings.ini is processed etc.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Look what I found:

Locale IDs, Input Locales, and Language Collections for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

and perhaps more important:

MDT installation UI not localized

Just to try, please post the following info also in your bootstrap.ini (although normally this is not a best practice)

Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

Ok I will, where can I upload the log files it's to many strings.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Perhaps you can make it available from your skydrive or dropbox or something like that. Again any info you do not want to have in your log file, please remove it.

Also logfiles can be best viewed with trace.exe (trace64 for 64 bit, and trace32 for 32 bit platforms)

Since your initial question is already 'answered', you might want to consider a vote for helpful for the answers that you find helpfull? That would be appreciated :)

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:15 PM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c45zq3eh9ri4p0/BDD.log
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Can I install trace on my computer as a software?

Is there so I dont have to do the diskpart sequence everytime?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:29 PM
  • I see the following things in your log file:

So here we see the unattend.xml is updated with the values from your customsettings.ini, and you UIlanguage which represents the language of the Operating System Image, is set to sv-SE this will only work if you also have a language pack file for Windows 7 embedded in the image.

Since I guess you don't have this language pack in your image, I see the following:

Not that this will resolve the issue, but you set your UIlanguage to "sv-SE" while the image language is en-US. So this is incorrect I believe. It will only work if you have a Swedish language pack incorporated in your image.

Did you already test the deployment with the values specified in the bootstrap.ini?

Furthermore I cant find any error's in your bdd.log.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Can I install trace on my computer as a software?

Is there so I dont have to do the diskpart sequence everytime?

Yes you can install trace, it is part of a tiny software application related to Config Mgr 2007, but can also be found on the internet elsewhere I believe.

Basically Diskpart will be executed every single time, when you execute a standard client task sequence, and you did not change the diskpart process.

Could you also please post a screenshot of your task sequence or the TS.xml which you can find in the Control\TSID folder?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

I'v made a new image today and I did not install the swedish language, I can do this if its necessary.

The installation is half way.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:46 PM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kajxwtxlmmq1mf/ts.xml
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Well it is not up to me to decide, you are the administrator working on this project, so if you find it necessary (because your users desire this), you incorporate this language pack.

Changing the values UILanguage and ImageLanguage other the default image language, will only work if more then one language is present. To incorporate more languages, please look at this thread, for example:

Install OS language during OSD (the easy way!) Part 1–Inject Language files

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:50 PM
  • OK, I have looked at your TS, nothing wrong there, but you should remove it asap, there is still valuable information present. So please do this first. I'll tell you afterwards what was in it.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

Ok its removed now. The deploy is still in english.

So If I download the swedish lang pack everything will sort out?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:16 PM
  • OK, you still had your MAK license key in a slmgr.vbs /ato run command line listed.

If you incorporate the language pack cab file with DISM, then your Windows 7 installation, will have two languages after the operation.

This means that you can specify the value: "UILanguage=sv-SE" (look in the image properties after it has been captured)

Here you will find, which languages are in the Operating System Image:

So this will resolve your UILanguage issue. The issue you have with KeyboardLocale, I think you need to try the following:

UILanguage=en-US (you can change this to sv-SE after the language pack is embedded)
    SystemLocale=sv-SE
    UserLocale=sv-SE
    KeyBoardLocale=sv-SE;041d:0000041d / or only sv-SE

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

Ok thank for the warning.

Should I write those commands in the bootstrap? Is a swedish UI necessary for a swedish keyboardlayout?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

The values definitely need to be in the customsettings.ini, but like the thread I referred to, someone managed to resolve the issue to put the following to properties, in the bootstrap.ini:

You can try to use this one as well:

KeyboardLocalePE=sv-SE
    KeyboardLocale=sv-Se

Or

KeyboardLocalePE=sv-SE;041d:0000041d
    KeyboardLocale=sv-SE;041d:0000041d

Note then when you modify things in the bootstrap.ini, you need to update your deploymentshare, so the new bootstrap.ini will be embedded in the WIM file which is in your litetouchx86.iso

And no it is not necessary to have the Swedisch UI, for Swedish Keyboard Support, it is just supposed to be in there, in the English version of Windows 7

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

Can I have all these:

KeyboardLocalePE=sv-SE
    KeyboardLocale=sv-Se

UILanguage=en-US
    SystemLocale=sv-SE
    UserLocale=sv-SE

In both bootstrap and custom settings?

If I update the deployshare doI then have to update the install image and boot image in the wds?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Nope, you need to try which specific combination works for you. Leaving other information which is false or isn't applicable in the bootstrap.ini or customsettings.ini is not that desirable, plus then you'll never find out which value is the correct value.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

So im guessing that I have to try

Or

KeyboardLocalePE=sv-SE
    KeyboardLocale=sv-Se

Or

All in bootstrap.ini? Or should I put them in customsettings? Whats the diffrence?

Will these commands make the UI english and keyboard swedish?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:41 AM
  • All in the bootstrap.ini, try them each separately and yes, this will make the UI English (since your OS Source language is English) and your keyboard Swedish

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Thank, Im going to try them now.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Did you read my new thread? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f61d9151-b99d-4b9e-aa82-007c349b01d0/new-installation-image-not-booting?forum=mdt
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:45 AM
  • Hi which boot image does capture image sequence take? Because when im trying to capture a new custom wim on an old computer it says it cannot connect to the deployment share like before with a PCI DEV...but this time I dont choose any boot image so then I dont know where to input the network drivers? Do you know where I need to input them?
    Friday, December 20, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Sysprep and Capture has nothing to do with your boot image, you just need to make sure your boot image has the correct drivers present for all your hardware. If you receive such an error, please write down the PCI DEV details (they are hardware device id's) which you can then match on the pcidatabase.com website: http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Next the litetouch_x86.iso enables you to do 32 bit and 64 bit deployments, while the litetouch_x64.iso enables you only to do 64 bit deployments.

Friday, December 20, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Is the capture process taking a random lite touch image?
    Friday, December 20, 2013 11:53 AM
  • wierd. I disabled all the boot images and still get the error, how does it boot into pe without the lite touch activated?

solved by adding the drivers to wdt and updating the share, I thought that the wds did that job, so confusing about the diffrence between wdt and wds.

Have a nice christmas!

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

You have seen my custom ini.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=NO
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=.....
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinDomain=IMM.INTRA
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    DomainAdminDomain=IMM.INTRA
    DomainAdmin=smsadmin
    DomainAdminPassword=....
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipComputerName=NO
    ComputerName=
    SkipPackageDisplay=NO

SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZone=110
    TimeZoneName=W. Europe Standard Time
    SkipApplications=NO
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipBitLockerDetails=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    CaptureGroups=NO
    Home_page=http://www.ki.se/imm
    SkipBuild=NO
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES

WSUSServer=http://optimus

FinishAction=REBOOT

And bootstrap:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\DEPLOY\MainShare

Buy why does it promt under the deployment for languange, timezone and keyboard lang?

Best regards Kjell

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Because its not:

But:

SkipLocaleSelection=YES

:)

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

Sadly that diden't do the trick.

If you look down it already said

SkipLocaleSelection=YES.

I tried to remove SkipLocationSelection=YES.

I think the problem is that its a custom wim. It's not that a big deal but it would be nice to not have to select it at the middle of the deploy. I diden't choose any sysprep files because a custom wim doesn't have.

The ideal scenario is that we dont have to select lang, keyboard and time zone. And that the languange would be english, with swedish time zone and keyboard layout.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:29 AM