none
Timesheet errors RRS feed

• Question

• Can you please tell me how exactly timesheet submission and approval works. I am tired of seeing status errors. And I do not have any clue to find out what causes such issues and usually we have ask support team to troubleshoot these issues. I am actually a little confused as to what we should be aware of while submitting timesheets and while approving it. I am not sure as to what I should ask in this forum.

This is why I am asking the following?

1 – Can a person submit time for a timesheet that belongs to previous week?

2 – If this is ok to do; Do they have to take any precautions?

3 – If this is ok to do; Can a person submit timesheet for a previous time period altogether?

4 – Is there any way I can check why a particular “Timesheet Error” has occurred by looking into the job queue?

5 - If this is ok to do; What should I be looking for?

6 – If there is any difference in the planned hours and actual hours, can I check it on Project Web Access or I need to have the MPP file?

7 – Can difference between planned work and actual work cause timesheet errors?

8 – Can past planned work be changed if we try to make changes to the amount of work done?

9 – What is the lifecycle of a Timesheet? Is there any stage when the timesheet be frozen for any changes?

10 – How late a timesheet can be recalled?

11 – Is this wrong to recall a timesheet after a successful publish?

12 – Is this a “Must” to enable single entry mode if my team is using Timesheets?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:40 PM

Answers

• I will try to answer your  questions to my best, hope this helps

Yes,if timesheet period is open, user can create previous week's timesheet

Not really

3 – If this is ok to do; Can a person submit timesheet for a previous time period altogether?

Depending on timesheet periods are defined , each timesheet will have different dates, you can not combine two timesheet periods in on one

4 – Is there any way I can check why a particular “Timesheet Error” has occurred by looking into the job queue?

What type of error?

Depends on error, reviewing ULS log is more helpful

6 – If there is any difference in the planned hours and actual hours, can I check it on Project Web Access or I need to have the MPP file?

Yes, if project plan has been published via Pro

Not really

8 – Can past planned work be changed if we try to make changes to the amount of work done?

Yes you can only if you recall the timesheet

9 – What is the lifecycle of a Timesheet? Is there any stage when the timesheet be frozen for any changes?

Timesheet period can be set to closed to restrict any further updates

As long as timesheet period is open

No, after recalling, resubmitting, PM has to republish the project plan

12 – Is this a “Must” to enable single entry mode if my team is using Timesheets

When you are using single entry mode, task progress is entered as actual work, not as a percent complete. If you prefer to enter task progress as a percent complete, discuss the option of not using single entry mode with your site administrator.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Resolving timesheets errors can be difficult.  It is usually caused by one or two tasks.  For example, a resource has specified 10 hours for the week, but the remaining work was 5, so they submitted more than remaining work.  That is just one example.

The other thing that can be confusing, is that the error shows for this week, but it is actually an error in a previous timesheet. 

Here is how I would resolve.  I try to isolate the task, by removing the time on all the other tasks, and only submit one task.  If that task works, then that one is not the problem.  I recall the timesheet, and then add time to another tasks.  Eventually you will find the task on the timesheet causing the problem.

Then you need to study the task, and see if anything is unusual. Again, you may need to look at some hidden fields, like remaining work.  You may need to go to DETAILS forms,  the task has remaining work, but the assigned resource does not.

There isn't a code or error message, that will lead you to the answer.  You just have to analysis the task closer.

One other point.  The error may be on a previous week, and you are seeing it on this week.. Just be aware of that.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:48 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:46 PM

All replies

• Ankit,

I've moved your post to the Project Server forum.  Please explicitly state what version of Project server you are using including service pack and/or cumulative update information.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Project server 2010.

December 2012 CU (KB2553188).

Service Pack 1.

• Edited by MSP-Learner Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:56 AM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:23 PM
  • any help please?
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:42 AM
  • any help please?
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:29 AM
  • I will try to answer your  questions to my best, hope this helps

Yes,if timesheet period is open, user can create previous week's timesheet

Not really

Depending on timesheet periods are defined , each timesheet will have different dates, you can not combine two timesheet periods in on one

What type of error?

Depends on error, reviewing ULS log is more helpful

Yes, if project plan has been published via Pro

Not really

Yes you can only if you recall the timesheet

Timesheet period can be set to closed to restrict any further updates

As long as timesheet period is open

No, after recalling, resubmitting, PM has to republish the project plan

12 – Is this a “Must” to enable single entry mode if my team is using Timesheets

When you are using single entry mode, task progress is entered as actual work, not as a percent complete. If you prefer to enter task progress as a percent complete, discuss the option of not using single entry mode with your site administrator.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Thank you very much.

I think the answer of question 12 has not been typed completely?

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:42 AM
  • I think the answer of question 12 has not been typed completely?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:31 AM
  • No, I have removed "," to avoid the confusion

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:26 PM
  • This sentence is not complete -

When you are using single entry mode, task progress is entered as actual work, not as a percent complete. If you prefer to enter task progress as a percent complete

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:14 AM
  • I have updated the sentence

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Resolving timesheets errors can be difficult.  It is usually caused by one or two tasks.  For example, a resource has specified 10 hours for the week, but the remaining work was 5, so they submitted more than remaining work.  That is just one example.

The other thing that can be confusing, is that the error shows for this week, but it is actually an error in a previous timesheet. 

Here is how I would resolve.  I try to isolate the task, by removing the time on all the other tasks, and only submit one task.  If that task works, then that one is not the problem.  I recall the timesheet, and then add time to another tasks.  Eventually you will find the task on the timesheet causing the problem.

Then you need to study the task, and see if anything is unusual. Again, you may need to look at some hidden fields, like remaining work.  You may need to go to DETAILS forms,  the task has remaining work, but the assigned resource does not.

There isn't a code or error message, that will lead you to the answer.  You just have to analysis the task closer.

One other point.  The error may be on a previous week, and you are seeing it on this week.. Just be aware of that.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:48 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Thank you so much for the information shared.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:32 AM