Sharepoint Sites All Open to Blank Page RRS feed

• Question

• The setup is:

-All computer (server and clients) are in the same windows domain

-Windows 7 SP1 or Windows XP SP3 with IE8 or IE9 or FF

-Server 2008R2 SP1 for all servers (x64 of course).

-SQL Server 2008 SP2 64bit on single backend

-Sharepoint Server 2007 SP2 or Sharepoint Services 3.0 SP2 on single frontend

I have tried numerous times to install these 2 versions of Sharepoint. Using a two server configuration (frontend web/admin/search/application with backend database). In the end, I'm always left with blank screens upon visiting the admin page and now even a portal page. Most of these were installed per Microsoft using account isolation. I've used Sharepoint for years on Server 2003 R2 with little problem. I confirmed that all of the authentication mechanisms are checked. It seems Sharepoint Services 3.0 SP2 installs these modules; because, I checked, and they were not installed prior to installing Sharepoint Services 3.0 SP2. Sometimes I am able to get into the admin portal right after the install, but later I find that the portal simply return a blank page (I'll include the source hmtl below for reference). I figured this had something to do with the state I was leaving the installation in since often I would install Sharepoint Server, attach to or create databases, and then setup a serivce or two (search, excel calc, etc), and then take a break.. for a day or so. When I get back I often find the admin site unresponsive. This time I was able to create a portal site, restore a Sharepoint Designer backup, and begin using the portal. Upon rebooting for M$ updates, I find that both sites (admin and portal) are returning blank pages. Further, I'm noticing that the Sharepoint installation doesn;t care whether the database server is running. This leads me to believe that the front end web server is not even attempting to make contact with the database server. I can confirm that the timer service, the server farm process, the search service, and the portal process are running in task manager (under their assigned domain accounts).

For the life of me, I just don't know what is going on. I've uninstalled everything (IIS7.5 included) and started fresh. I've rerun the the configuration wizard in an effort to "reattach" the frontend and backend servers. All firewalls look good. I've even wondered if the default page was to blame. I've followed a cache deletion proceedure.

A google search for days has left me fairly empty handed. Several searches lead me to this site. This is why I'm call upon this community for support.

Please assist! Thank you!

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:25 AM SP 2010 is off-topic here and references to it in the post have been removed.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:25 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:14 AM

All replies

• I just did a full uninstall of sharepoint services and then all server roles and features (except the backup feature).  I followed the suggestion I found on another website to install sharepoint without first installing any of the IIS roles.  Everything works very similar to how it worked during other install trials.  It's after rebooting the machine that I once again get these blank screens.  What in the world can cause a sharepoint install to suddenly stop functioning?  The page is literally blank.  <body></body>... no content.  If it turn the server off or turn the IIS site off then I get the typical error messages. 

Why would sharepoint just stop like this?  Why must I reinstall all of roles, reinstall sharepoint, and reconfigure sharepoint to use these same databases only to find the system nonfunctional aftera  reboot?

I must point out this has happend with Sharepoint Server 2007, Sharepoint Server 2010, and Sharepoint Services.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Please do ask questions.  I'm sure there is more information that must be covered before a solution can be found.
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:07 AM