MS Word 2010 image copy/paste bug - file handle not released RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I seem to have encountered a bug in MS Word 2010 and I want to verify that it is indeed a bug and that I am not doing something wrong. To reproduce it:

1) Start MS Word 2010 and create a new document

2) Insert your favourite image into the document. Save it somewhere eg. Desktop/test.docx and close Word

3) Restart MS Word and open Destop/test.docx

4) Create a new document (Document1)

5) Select all in Desktop/test.docx, copy, and paste into Document1.

6) Close Desktop/test.docx

7) Try to reopen Desktop/test.docx. Currently I am getting a 'test.docx is locked for editing by 'another user'' error.

Inspection of the WINWORD.EXE process in Process Explorer shows that when test.docx is closed in step 6, it's file handle is not released, resulting in the locking problem.

Further inspection of various temporary files created in the Content.MSO/ directory suggests that what is happening is: when you paste the embedded image file into the new document, and then close test.docx, the embedded image file remains preserved (perhaps by some sort of reference counted garbage collection algorithm?). As is it preserved, I am guessing that it's container document test.docx is also preserved.

This doesn't seem right. Can anyone else reproduce the problem? If it is a bug where is the correct place to report it?

• Moved by David Wolters Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:31 PM m (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:37 AM

Answers

• Hi elm,

Yes, I can reproduce the problem.

You can submit the feedback to Microsoft from this link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx

Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases. Many features of current programs were designed and upgraded based on customer feedback. We strive to capture any and all product issues or product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet customer needs. With efforts from customers such as yourself, we continue to make our programs better.  

Thank you for working closely to improve our products.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, June 20, 2011 5:05 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi elm,

Yes, I can reproduce the problem.

You can submit the feedback to Microsoft from this link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx

Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases. Many features of current programs were designed and upgraded based on customer feedback. We strive to capture any and all product issues or product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet customer needs. With efforts from customers such as yourself, we continue to make our programs better.  

Thank you for working closely to improve our products.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, June 20, 2011 5:05 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Thanks, Max. Bug report submitted.

Eric

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:01 AM