none
Can I deploy Windows Updates to Windows clients from a Windows 7 computer in a WORKGROUP RRS feed

• Question

• I implement Point of Sale systems. Currently our POS network may have a mix of Windows platforms, mostly 7 Pro and 8.1. Windows updates need to be installed, but we handle this process manually, with the setting "download updates but let me choose when to install them". I'm looking for a way that our clients can sit down periodically on the main computer and install updates (during non-business hours), and also push them out to the other computers in the workgroup (which may be on a different OS). Is this possible?
    Friday, October 2, 2015 3:53 PM

Answers

• No, only WSUS functionality on Windows Server can do the requested functionality safely.

However you can use caching proxy, wake up computers in night (either remotely by magical packet or via BIOS setting), do scheduled (automatic) updates and shutdown remotely (shutdown -s -f -m \\ip_address -t 0 ).

HTH

Milos

Friday, October 2, 2015 4:13 PM
  • This doesn't help you, but just as a point of interest, this is a capability that has been added in Windows 10.

Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Saturday, October 3, 2015 3:07 PM

All replies

• No, only WSUS functionality on Windows Server can do the requested functionality safely.

However you can use caching proxy, wake up computers in night (either remotely by magical packet or via BIOS setting), do scheduled (automatic) updates and shutdown remotely (shutdown -s -f -m \\ip_address -t 0 ).

HTH

Milos

Friday, October 2, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of a caching proxy, is that something I configure in Windows? 
    Friday, October 2, 2015 5:16 PM
  • This has been old time solution. Caching idea is from the times when dial-up access to ISP prevailed. Even MS has something like it in server operating system add-on.

However, in present time consider 3rd pty solution like squid (It is ported on various operating systems - it is here for very long time, so it is a good solution. I used it 16 years ago on Linux for companies with very low budgets *) )

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/

If you do not pay for transferred amount of data, then you can download update multiple times.

Regards

Milos

*) This was combined with Postfix mail server, fax server, print server, Samba file server,etc. Not common to mention on Windows forum, but I have learned a lot of principles that I could use in Windows operating systems and applications that worked in this environment.

Friday, October 2, 2015 6:13 PM
  • This doesn't help you, but just as a point of interest, this is a capability that has been added in Windows 10.

Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Saturday, October 3, 2015 3:07 PM