Getting AUTORUN.INF to open a folder in Explorer view RRS feed

• Question

• I am fairly well versed in DOS-based command language.  Locating the proper syntax in creating a simple AUTORUN.INF file however has left me a bit challenged.  The issue is that all I want it to do is open Windows Explorer to a specified folder when I plug my USB drive in that it would be located on.  I tried an "OPEN=OPENFLDR.BAT" where OPENFLDR.BAT included "EXPLORER.EXE E:\MYFOLDER\" command.  I tried AUTORUN.INF with both regular and system file attributes.  Neither of course worked.

Ive already done some research here and on the web to find this specifically-addressed issue, to no avail.

Also, if you know of a more effective-forum for this to be posted in please also suggest.

• Moved by Rich Prescott Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:19 PM Autorun config on XP (From:The Official Scripting Guys Forum!)
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:21 PM

All replies

• USB drives, in many cases, are blocked from autoruns executing.  Thisiwas a patch to XP some 8 months ago.  YOu would need to modify the regfistry to overcome this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

jv
    • Edited by jrv Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Thanks JRV, but apparently you either didnt understand my problem or didnt read the KB article.  The KB article talks about OSes that can NOT disable Autorun, the downloadable KB-fix, AND how to manually disable it via Regedit.  This doesnt deal with getting Autorun to function properly and proper syntax for opening a folder in Explorer.

Again, I need someone to a) verify my method and syntax are acceptable, and b) make it work on their USB device, or c) Present the correct method and syntax.  Thanks.

Dave

P.S. Again, if theres a better forum for this issue please suggest.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

This is a scripting forum. You might try asking in a better place. You can look for an appropriate forum here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/

Bill

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Yes, thats where I started.  I dont know what category this falls under, but theres programmers here so maybe they know something on this high level function.  Most programmers know a bit about other languages, etc. and this programming forum deals with Windows Functionality.  I would, however, appreciate someone thoroughly familiar with the topics to help identify and direct me to a forum most closely matching this issue if its not here.  So far no ones convinced me of any better forum.  Thank you.

Dave

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:31 PM
  • It is not a scriptin gissue and not a programming issue.  It isa system configuration issue.

What you are trying to do cannot bedone without making changes to the regustry as outlined in the KB article I posted for you.

Asking your question here is like askig a brain surgeon how to install a new furnace in your home.  You won't get an answer.

jv
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:48 PM
  • Thanks JRV, but apparently you either didnt understand my problem or didnt read the KB article.  The KB article talks about OSes that can NOT disable Autorun, the downloadable KB-fix, AND how to manually disable it via Regedit.  This doesnt deal with getting Autorun to function properly and proper syntax for opening a folder in Explorer.

Again, I need someone to a) verify my method and syntax are acceptable, and b) make it work on their USB device, or c) Present the correct method and syntax.  Thanks.

Dave

P.S. Again, if theres a better forum for this issue please suggest.

As I posted. There has been a new update that has disabled Autorun on XP SP3.  The KB explains how to undo this.  That is why I posted it.

You also cannot call a batch file from the 'open' key.  'open' will only open an exe.  Look at the documentation more closely to see how autorun is designed to work.

jv
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:50 PM
  • I would, however, appreciate someone thoroughly familiar with the topics to help identify and direct me to a forum most closely matching this issue if its not here.  So far no ones convinced me of any better forum.  Thank you.

Hi,

Just a reminder that the forum participants for the most part are not MS employees, and there is no SLA.

Bill

Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Yes, thats where I started.  I dont know what category this falls under, but theres programmers here so maybe they know something on this high level function.  Most programmers know a bit about other languages, etc. and this programming forum deals with Windows Functionality.  I would, however, appreciate someone thoroughly familiar with the topics to help identify and direct me to a forum most closely matching this issue if its not here.  So far no ones convinced me of any better forum.  Thank you.

Dave

YOur question is an end user question about how to use and configure WIndows.  It has nothing to do with scripting.

You should start here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads

jv
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:20 PM
  • hi,

AutoRun is a traditional feature in windows operating systems that enables media like the CD ROMs, USB Devices, Memory Sticks, DVDs, etc. to automatically launch the programs stored in them and i think that the messages which you are receiving are the same because of this autorun virus or threat you can say.AutoRun Viruses spread themselves through removable media like USB drive, etc. They contain three executable files namely “autorun.inf“, “kavo.exe” and “ntdelect.com“. so i would like to suggest you to remove this ona as soon as possible.for more info How to remove autorun.inf using cmd click here.

Be careful of this post.  The link is to a sequence of sites that attempt to inject trojans into your system.

I am running as a standard user so I just saw the page lock up and watched my status display run through dozens of downloads until I killed the browser.  This is nearly always a sign of a web attack.

The main page is one that has been copied all over the internet and claims to be a solution to a virus. It gives a silution that will fail and then suggests downloading a virus tool.  You do not have to download - just visiting the page is enough for one level of attack.

jv
    • Edited by jrv Friday, December 16, 2011 9:37 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 9:35 PM